Lake Jocassee update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Man, I know you live in that general area, was hoping you'd be a fountain of information!

it's still 50 miles away, so we have to commit to get up there. I was in England all of Feb/Mar/Apr for work, then the first half of May I was teaching in Raleigh, NC so will probably be another 3-4 weeks before I get out to Jocassee. Wish it was closer, but no such luck

it's still 50 miles away, so we have to commit to get up there. I was in England all of Feb/Mar/Apr for work, then the first half of May I was teaching in Raleigh, NC so will probably be another 3-4 weeks before I get out to Jocassee. Wish it was closer, but no such luck

I'll be there in two weeks; will know more after that.

I did "The Wall" on Saturday with Jocassee Dive Shop. Temps were around 65F at 60 feet. Vis was maybe 10 feet of pea soup. It amazes me how popular Jocassee is, but I suppose for this region it's a good option, especially for training--just practicing skills is mainly what I go there for. I overheard that the Sunday morning dive was overbooked, and they were adding a second boat. I believe it was a tech class going to the graveyard. The graveyard is beyond my comfort zone, though.

You have to get below the rising (in the summer) algae. Popping through the soup @100+' into a dome of clear water in the forest @ the ramp is "most excellent."

You have to get below the rising (in the summer) algae. Popping through the soup @100+' into a dome of clear water in the forest @ the ramp is "most excellent."

That makes sense. I've never gotten that deep in Jocassee, either from the diver ramp or a boat.

I'll be there in two weeks; will know more after that.
Contact Lake Jocassee Dive Shop about diving the graveyard. Their boat dive fee isn't bad $40-ish and includes tanks or gas fills.

Jocassee update Monday 6/5/17: End of divers ramp is 21'. Water temp was 71 on the surface and 67-68 at 40'. The platform at 30' off the end of the divers ramp has collapsed on one side.
Vis is around 20'.

Jocassee update Monday 6/5/17: End of divers ramp is 21'. Water temp was 71 on the surface and 67-68 at 40'. The platform at 30' off the end of the divers ramp has collapsed on one side.
Vis is around 20'.

Was anyone else there on a Monday? It's getting to that time of year where weekends are zoos, and weekdays are a better option.

No one, but me. I was there around 4pm. Weekends are crazy busy and yes for a quiet relaxing dive, weekdays are the better option.
The park is open until 8 or 9 so a late afternoon dive is normally quiet.

I made my first visit to the lake over the weekend to finish up a tech class; we opted for the lake after getting blown out of Hatteras a month or so ago. We did two dives on the graveyard. Bill and the crew from the LJDS were awesome, we really enjoyed diving with them. Nobody else on the boat, just us.

If you haven't been, the dive shop is near the lake, not right at it. The boat is kept at the shop and trailered to the lake; a little different but no problem, it's a short ride. After launching the boat it was a quick five minute ride to the site; we geared up and went in.

Weather was warm but a little cooler than expected (thankfully); made being in dry suits at the surface pretty tolerable. Water temps were very pleasant - 78 at the surface, 67 at 20' and 54 at 140'. Viz was pretty decent, at least 30', way better than our local quarry (think 30"). The graveyard was interesting, added cool effect because of Deliverance; would like to go back and spend a little more time exploring; trees looked pretty cool. All in all, a great time at the lake.

5zSnnUAl.jpg

Back
Top Bottom