Concerns about moderating policies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since the distance across the North Sea is smaller than the distance across the Atlantic, I've always associated "twit" with "****", which, as we all know, is a UK-ism for the (banned here on SB) c-word. Never thought that it might have another meaning. Just shows how wrong one can be.

American English does present some interesting concepts for the British English user ... the term "fanny pack", for example ... :eek:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Warning to all who argue online, trying to reprimand someone for their poor word choice is like trying to hit a puppy with meatballs.

Damn you, now I have to go make meatballs to throw at my puppy. There goes the rest of my day.

I could ... but then I'd probably get moderated ... :)

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

It would have to be in another thread, but interesting work-around the idea of wanting to call a diver a moron, but not get moderated. Just title the THREAD "moron Divers I have seen", everybody gets to post but NOBODY gets moderated or black marks on their SCUBABOARD report card because it is not specifically in their post.
I. Am guessing Netdoc would see right through this and shut it down.
:angrymob: This little animation just warms my heart.

It would have to be in another thread, but interesting work-around the idea of wanting to call a diver a moron, but not get moderated. Just title the THREAD "moron Divers I have seen", everybody gets to post but NOBODY gets moderated or black marks on their SCUBABOARD report card because it is not specifically in their post.
I. Am guessing Netdoc would see right through this and shut it down.
:angrymob: This little animation just warms my heart.

We have a place for that ... it's called The Pub. NetDoc created it, and even occasionally comes down to play. You see, the man is way more accommodating than some folks are giving him credit for.

This animation warms my heart ... not to mention the rest of me ... :roast:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

So Dumpster is banned now and I think that is a shame. To me a ban should be used when a member of that community is not contributing any value, is more of a negative than a positive (and it can even be argued that any positives given by an individual should outweigh the negatives when the positives could contain life saving advice and the negatives annoyances). That said I do not know why Dumpster was banned, perhaps he was giving bad (dangerous) information, maybe he was endorsing the Triton underwater gills. More likely (in my opinion) he made some sort of personal attack that pissed someone off (maybe a mod). That's bad, I agree, and ad hominem attacks discouraged, but an outright ban means that the mods think that user is overall detrimental to the community. In this case I would argue that choice is fundamentally wrong, Dumpster has shared valuable insights especially within the diving community that decides to spearfish, but also within the community at large. He has asked questions that I found myself asking privately about sensitive or unpopular topics, legitimately inquisitive of the answer. This kind of questioning should not be discouraged, even if viewed as sarcastic as there are new divers such as myself that legitimately want to understand the answer and the reasoning behind the answers.

I would ask that the mod team re-evaluate the decision objectively (most users do not know why he was banned, hell he could have been advocating everyone switch to the Triton) given the offenses vs the users legitimate contributions to the board. If the consensus is still that he is net negative drain on the board then so be it, but he has to have posted some pretty heinous things to detract from the valuable advice he has given in many threads. Was this really the right call?

I thought "bannings" only lasted a week? "Dumpsterdiver" wasn't using profanity or particularly insulting language that I saw? I reviewed a couple pages of his posts searching for "snark-treasure", but only found a few "nebbish-nickels"

Last edited:
@jenkfish. I am surprised of such a ban. It would be interesting to know the reason for such a ban. I did not share Dumpster's value on spearfishing with scuba equipment , most likely due to my european mentality, but I often enjoyed his way of communicating on his - small - mistakes and funny adventures.

A note on banning IN GENERAL. Please note that NONE of this is written specifically about dumpsterdiver:

It is the mod team policy not to ever discuss a banning in public. This is to avoid any embarrassment for the individuals concerned. Unfortunately that often bites us in the butt since those members can (and often do) come on the board to give a VERY different version of what happened and we do not respond to that.

A banning is NEVER undertaken lightly, we follow a almost hands-off policy on content except for the Green Zones and others that have very specific ToS. If someone has been banned, you can believe that it has been discussed to death in the back room.

Banning is also almost NEVER discussed until someone has been reported for multiple, egregious breaches of the ToS. Our first line is usually to contact the member by PM and try to coach them regarding their online behavior in the forum. This is successful the vast majority of the time.

If they then continue to act up, after the next couple of offenses we will give them a "You are now on zero-tolerance" warning, followed by a temporary ban (or a sub-forum ban) if that doesn't work.

If the small "vacation" is unsuccessful, we then start to talk perma-ban.

That decision is NEVER made lightly.

Oh and going through posting history can be very misleading. Often the offending posts have been deleted so there is no trail for users to see, we can see it but to the casual observer it seems nothing is wrong. Another issue can be the PM's. If, for example, a user sends a death threat to another user in PM and they report it, we would immediately ban that user. Nobody would ever know why except the victim and the banned one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom