Malapascua - Recommendations please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have also dived with TSD over the years. I saw someone post that Evolution doesn't allow pointy sticks - makes no sense to me. Tapanee is nearby, the bungalows don't have hot water (at least during my stays) but their other rooms should. There are a number of resorts that offer air conditioning but I go for fan rooms myself. No you will not find schools of fish around Malapascua but it is not barren of fish. You can find schooling fish around Apo Island, Tubbataha Reef and Balicasag Island, I'm sure there are more but I haven't been there. Keep in mind June to December is the Typhoon season in that part of the world so your travels may be affected by weather and the typhoon doesn't have to be on top of you to kick up enough wind and waves to stop a couple of days of diving. If you are an underwater photographer I recommend you set up your own fresh water dunk tank. It isn't so bad during the wet season but the well water on Malapascua has a lot of mineral content. Everytime I have visited Malapascua I need my camera housing serviced. You can check out my Flickr account for critters I've captured around the island.

That's a long time to stay in Malapascua--you are close to a couple of other islands that have great diving just a couple of hours away from Cebu by ferry. Bohol--Panglao for reefs and Anda for great wall dives. Dumaguete (Dauin) for Apo Island--great reefs and drift diving plus some great muck diving too. Good modest accommodations in both places.

I saw someone post that Evolution doesn't allow pointy sticks - makes no sense to me.

No sticks is one of the agreements of all members of the MMPF, Malapascua Marine Preservation Fund, which all diveshops "claim" to be supporting members of. So this is not Evolution specific, and is based on divers using them not for pointing, but for poking, and buoyancy control to the detriment of the reef and marinelife.

No sticks is one of the agreements of all members of the MMPF, Malapascua Marine Preservation Fund, which all diveshops "claim" to be supporting members of. So this is not Evolution specific, and is based on divers using them not for pointing, but for poking, and buoyancy control to the detriment of the reef and marinelife.
TSD also insist on no pointers and no gloves. When I went to Similan earlier this year, the same policy apply as well.

Personally I think it is a good move....now if they can only enforce on photographers with bad buoyancy control.....

TSD also insist on no pointers and no gloves. When I went to Similan earlier this year, the same policy apply as well.

Personally I think it is a good move....now if they can only enforce on photographers with bad buoyancy control.....

No gloves in Sipadan as well, pointy stick /tank banger is ok. Just got back last weekend.

Planning for Malapascua in November second week.
How is the visibility at that time?

Read a lot about TSD , Evolution & Sea Explorers . I like Evolution among them.
How is Thresher Cove Dive Resort for both stay and dive?

Planning for Malapascua in November second week.
How is the visibility at that time?

Read a lot about TSD , Evolution & Sea Explorers . I like Evolution among them.
How is Thresher Cove Dive Resort for both stay and dive?
All the three operators are well established.
If you like Evolution then why not give them a call?
Avoid any places that catering mainly chinese.

All the three operators are well established.
If you like Evolution then why not give them a call?
Avoid any places that catering mainly chinese.
Yup . Exchanged Mails with Evolution.

Just worried about visibility at that time.

I been there 4 times. 3 in May and one in November. For sure vis is better in May but not bad in November. Weather in Philippines is always unpredictable most of the year so it can change quickly.

I done all my diving there at Evolution. They run a very good operation.

We stayed with Sea Explorers in Feb (hotel was Ocean Vida). Everything was very good!!!!! and we did not find any lack of marine life at all!!! Really!!! Yes we heard fish bombings (( but that is a next (several miles aside) island and nobody goes there for diving. Gato Island is a must see , also there is a nice grassy dive site to look for macro life. Treshers are 100% garantee if you are ready to wake up every day at 5 am. )))

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom