PSI Crystal Simple Green dilution factor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swamp diver

Contributor
Reaction score
Is there anyone from PSI on this board who can explain why the dilution factor in their oxygen cleaning document is 1:500 for Crystal SG?

This would seem like a homeopathic dilution or possibly a typo, but they also report the same factor for regular Simple Green and 1:770 for Dawn?

TDI suggests 1:10 and Vance Harlow suggests 25:1 to 100:1 apparently based on US navy testing.

The SG manufacturer suggests 1:15 to 1:30 for ultrasonic parts washing.

What is the rationale behind the 1:500 dilution or is this a typo?

I was taught use 10:1 and have with no issues for all my O2 cleaning

just taught the course today.. we use 1-2 ounces per half gallon

that's the ratio I teach ......... ..are you even certified as an 02 technician glenn or are you just regurgitating things you read AGAIN (try to have an original thought ) .... (plus its says crystal ) and discusses " lines " I have been doing this for 20 years

Last edited:
I was responding to the OP's question with documentation, unlike some I do not make things up as I go along. Yes I do have an O2 cleaning certification.

that's the ratio I teach ......... ..are you even certified as an 02 technician glenn or are you just regurgitating things you read AGAIN (try to have an original thought ) .... (plus its says crystal ) and discusses " lines " I have been doing this for 20 years

What does "lines" have to do with anything? Did you even READ what he linked?

I have it copy-pasted here for you-

Compressed Gas
Primary Business: Medical equipment, scuba diving and other compressed gas services for oxygen, freon, fluoride, neon and others.

Description of Primary Usage: Clean interiors of equipment and gas lines with 500:1 with Crystal. Rinse thoroughly to remove all organics from surfaces. External parts (masks, tank exteriors, scuba equipment, etc.) can be cleaned with higher concentrations such as 10:1 with Crystal.

Additional Products: 60-gallon Parts Washer, Proportioner, Foamer, Safety Towels, Hand Cleaner Gel, Empty 24oz. Dilution Spray Bottles

Nothing to add here but a little humor.

Perhaps the dilution ratio can be reduced by substituting piss?

Myself, I'm curious what effect the various recommended dilution ratios might have.

Too strong risking chemical reactions, too weak, lacking cleaning power? Or does just a splash or two not matter either way in real life? Anyone used a mix too strong and had a consequence beyond wasting money?

I was taught around 1:100 by a random old timer for what it's worth. Not officially trained.

Regards,
Cameron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom