http://www.diveheart.org/

Two Years Ago Today An Amazing Woman Triumphed Over Death - Kimber aka TekDiveGirl

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kimber/TekDiveGirl: "On this day, 11 years ago I suffered an arterial gas embolism while driving here in San Diego on the wreck of the Hogan. Had it not been for the flawless execution of emergency management and evacuation procedures by Capitan Carl, Joel, Anita, Eric, and Chad, I truly believe that I would not be here posting this today. I thank you all as well as Tyler, Joel, Eric, Dale, and Paul. I thank you all.
The diving community was amazing. People came together to raise money to help pay my bills (this was long before gofundme) and at Christmas sent gifts to my children and I two years in a row. There were so many people that participated in this. I thank you all.
Don who was originally recruited by the members of ScubaBoard to do a recon mission to go to the hospital and gather information about my condition and report back has become such a wonderful source of support. I thank you.
My friends L Susan who visited me almost every day while I was at Scripps inpatient rehab and TJ, the fearless "Great White Mola Shark" diver
1f62c.png
, who put her own life aside for awhile to stay at my house and help me after I was released from inpatient rehab - I think you both.
To my precious princess Kylia - you were so young at the time and had to grow up far earlier than you should have. I am truly sorry.
1f622.png

In 2011 I started attending the Acquired Brain Injury Program at Mesa College. Being around other brain injury survivors was incredibly therapeutic and healing. The information that I learned in the classes as well as the guidance and support that I received from Marla Margaret, Heike, JoAnn, Debby, Mia, and Lori was instrumental in my progression to where I am today. I thank you all.
My journey thus far has filled with ups and downs, twists and turns. To everybody reading this who has supported me through my triumphs and tragedies, I thank you all.
I am truly grateful for all of the blessings in my life! Today I celebrate my 11th birthday."

:jump:

You rock Kimber! My biggest regret in not coming out to California was missing our yearly visit. They clearly missed the real "Wonder Woman" when they made the movie.

Kimber at Life Rolls On ... what a great organization putting on adaptive surfing

41882164_2359702294045990_5833753296749199360_n.jpg

42045114_310996269456523_6311648608353517568_o.jpg

41936498_310996246123192_6802618337277771776_o.jpg

team pink was awesome ... of course they were :heart:

42195905_10217489949903279_6133449607788625920_o.jpg

My Sweetie, Kimber Hawkins Thurman
who I met here on ScubaBoard in the MOF/NMOF thread some 13 years ago
9/28/1970 - 4/2/2019

from her son, edited by me:
"She was 48 years old, survived major brain surgery in 2004, A AGE bilateral stroke due to a PFO in 2006, woke up from a coma that doctors said she had a 5% chance of survival, she managed to power through 13 more years to see all three of her kids graduate high school and see their 21st birthdays.
More than surviving, she did everything she could to thrive. She approached physical therapy with a passion that I can hardly describe and gained independence despite her injuries.
She was graduating Cal State San Marcos next month with a Bachelors Degree in the field of psychology and had already applied for grad school.
She took the GRE test just this past Saturday.
She always said that one of her big regrets was that she never got a degree, and I can't explain how unbelievably proud I am that she managed to do it even though she won't be able to walk her graduation next month.
She had an extremely supportive network of friends and peers and she said that the only thing she wanted to do was to work with other people who had suffered brain injuries, so she could be the type of person that helped her through so much.
I would say rest in peace, but she wouldn't like that idea ... whatever afterlife she's in, she's gonna **** **** up over there."

Continue to kick ass and take names Sweetie :jump: :flowers: :heart:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom