Bump on lip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chip Elliott

Connecticut Yankee
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
This past Wednesday I did two dives on the Chester Polling wreck off of Gloucester, Mass. Bottom time was around 15-18 minutes, total dive time 35 minutes. Both times when I came up I had a "blister" on the middle inside of my upper lip. The only thing I could compare it to would be what is called a breast-feeding tubercle or blister that one often sees in babies. (No, I was not for those whose minds have wandered here :eyebrow:.)

As far as I know I was not clenching my mouthpiece, I was quite relaxed actually. The only modification involved is that I put on a Seacure moldable mouth piece. I have used this mouth piece before with no difficulty.

Any ideas? Thanks!

The only modification involved is that I put on a Seacure moldable mouth piece. I have used this mouth piece before with no difficulty.

Any ideas? Thanks!
You mean, this was a SeaCure you just put on this reg, and you had used the same SeaCure before without a problem?
Is it possible the SeaCure was installed upside down?

The seacure is on the same reg I have been using. This is the first time I have had this blister.

Have you changed your mask or had it too tight? This could change the shape of your face.

Everything was the same, I think maybe it was just a "one off" experience. At least I'm hoping that! :)

Everything was the same, I think maybe it was just a "one off" experience. At least I'm hoping that! :)

The sudden appearance is suggestive of a mucus blister due to one of the very small salivary pores that are in the lining of the mouth being plugged. They are not uncommon and can often come and go. It's best to visit your dentist to have the area evaluated since they occasionally can go inward and require surgery".

Randall Moles DDS

Inventor of SeaCure

Anyway, how was the POLING? I like that dive, in part because I'm old enough to remember when she broke in two and went down, in a very bad winter storm. I was in the Coast Guard in Boston at the time, and knew a couple of the rescuers, they saved 6 out of 7 crew, in truly horrible conditions.
Long read here, but worth it, at least for me:
Google

It was a great two dives on the wreck. Viz was about 15 feet, but a little cloudy at depth. Temp at depth was 49F, air temp 61F. The was a bit of a current coming around the starboard side but nothing that really took a lot of effort to fight against. Some sea life, starfish, other fish that look a lot like freshwater perch, crabs, mussels, anemones, etc. One diver saw a lobster. The captain Steve was a great guy and they provided food between dives. It got cold though, I think I need some kind of a coat to wrap around me between dives so I don't have to get out of my wetsuit but still stay a little warmer than I was. I was really excited for this dive since it was my first wreck dive, and I think it was "simple" enough to provide excitement but not overly dangerous nor did it pose a lot of hazards.

The sudden appearance is suggestive of a mucus blister due to one of the very small salivary pores that are in the lining of the mouth being plugged. They are not uncommon and can often come and go. It's best to visit your dentist to have the area evaluated since they occasionally can go inward and require surgery".

Randall Moles DDS

Inventor of SeaCure
Thank you for this input! I know it wasn't the mouthpeice for I have used it many times on other dives. It also went away in about 2 days, no lingering effects. :)

Between dives, if it's windy, your wet-wetsuit, is a swamp cooler, and it cools you real fast. You're right, a big parka and hood to keep you warm and break the wind, is essential to keep from getting chilled.

My first dive there was in mid summer, and it was about 62F at the surface, but 45F down on deck of the wreck. By end of the second dive, I was cold cold cold, but that thermocline on the ascent felt like a sauna bath--woo hoo, 60 tropical degrees!

I'm Mass Bay born and raised, but since running away from home to New Orleans, my Gulf and Florida dives have spoiled me about water temps. New England dives are like brocoli, they're "good for me"...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom