Liveaboard Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm open to any time, but I'd prefer seasons that are more likely to see Mantas. My understanding is that's typically September-November?

Scuba Junkies sounds interesting as well. Might give us a chance to explore Indonesia as well. It sounds as though South Komodo is not as much an option with Scuba Junkies and day trips in general. Is that right?

Yup I don't know of any day boats out of LBJ that go further than Padar. SJ took me (along with the other divers) once to Horse Shoe Bay once of about 22 days diving with them on two different occasions. They dive Padar more frequently.

I'm open to any time, but I'd prefer seasons that are more likely to see Mantas. My understanding is that's typically September-November?
In my experience, you will see Mantas in Central Komodo throughout the Komodo season (approx.. April/May - Sept/October)...but not in the numbers you will see in the south, Misool area or Lembongan.

I did a LOB with Aggressor in Indonesia with some friends earlier this year and I'm going back to do a solo trip with Aggressor for Christmas.

So here is another name for you to look up :)

Edit:
For mantas, I had the pleasure diving with them in Bali and Raja Ampat, quite a few of them, actually.

This Manta mating train was filmed at Karang Makassar in December on our 2015 Christmas cruise.

Historically large numbers of mantas are best seen around Karang Makassar (North Komodo) between December through February, but can be seen in the South earlier in the season. It's a rare occassion when some aren't spotted somewhere. Weather, winds, water temps and seasonal visiblity has been a bit unpredictible in the last couple of years; these contribute to the mantas location and the dive boats destination too.

This Manta mating train was filmed at Karang Makassar in December on our 2015 Christmas cruise.

Historically large numbers of mantas are best seen around Karang Makassar (North Komodo) between December through February, but can be seen in the South earlier in the season. It's a rare occassion when some aren't spotted somewhere. Weather, winds, water temps and seasonal visiblity has been a bit unpredictible in the last couple of years; these contribute to the mantas location and the dive boats destination too.

We did see an incredible amount of mantas in the south last year. We lost count and they just kept coming. I have never been off season but after the crowds last year I have decided I might have to go off season when I go again.

Wow! Fantastic video!

Where is Karang Makassar, relative to Taka Makassar?

...I have never been off season but after the crowds last year I have decided I might have to go off season when I go again.

We've been hearing a lot of that @Cali_diver. As a year round liveaboard we feel your frustration:eek:. To make the most of the "off season" we've added 3 new Southern Komodo itineraries. Now we'll have more time in the south when the waters are usually calmer, warmer and better visibility. And during peak season "July" we'll spend a day away from the crowds at a newly discovered (still a secret) place that has a resident Whale shark population. :yeahbaby::eyebrow:

Wow! Fantastic video!
Where is Karang Makassar, relative to Taka Makassar?

Thanks @Dan_T, as you can imagine the guests were super excited! Karang is bahasa Indonesian for reef (coral) and Taka is the same in the local language of Komodo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom