3 weeks in Andaman Sea in July - what is open?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ulricaSWE

New
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Me and my fiancé are landing on Phuket in July for three weeks of diving, snorkeling, eating and nature experiencing. No party, no shopping, no cities. We plan on leaving Phuket as soon as we land.

Our first plan was to start with the Trang Islands (Dugongs! :p) and then hop back to Phuket from island to island up the coast. BUT then there is the closing of all the great diving/snorkelling sites in the National Marine Parks in the summer :(
Among the closed: Ko Mook, Ko Kradan, Ko Ngai, Ko Rok, Ko Haa, Hin Muang/Hin Daeng
(If anyone have an complete map or list of closed islands and dive sites I will reward you greatly)

So, now I need your help!
There must be some decent diving and snorkelling that is OPEN in July, but where?

Please just point me in the right direction, name websites, articles, divemaps, ANYTHING! We can do some liveaboard, some daytrips and some kayaking but mostly want to find calm, crowd-free and beautiful places to snorkel and sleep in the sun for days on end.
Forever grateful for all your suggestions, Ulrica from Sweden :snorkel:

My hubby and I have dived extensively in Asia. Personally I wouldn't dive Thailand in July as this is when the best sites are closed. Air Asia fly from Phuket to KL and from there you can connect to Indonesia eg Bali or Komodo via Jakarta, Sipadan in Borneo and even the Philippines where the weather and diving will be far far better than Thaiiland.

Sorr if this does not answer your direct question , but this is what I would personally do.

Change your plans and head elsewhere.. It's cheap enough to get to Bali/tioman/indo that is better to change then waste three weeks in Thailand in July

Sorr if this does not answer your direct question , but this is what I would personally do.
Change your plans and head elsewhere..

I´m afraid those advices are too late, we already have the tickets. But we have decided to take the bus to Surat Thani (250 B) and go to Ko Samui and Ko Tao instead. I have read that a lot of people say the diving is not as good but it will be my first time diving abroad so anything will be totaly amazing for me :)

Nice diving and snorkeling at Racha Islands, Phi Phi area (especially Koh Bida Nai) and Shark Point area (diving only).

You seem to know the area very well. Where on Phuket is snorkeling good? You know, for the first two days recovering from the flight... :wink:

Head for Koh Tao, the East side of thailand is good on July.

A bad day in the Andaman Sea is nicer diving than a good day in the Gulf of Thailand. You're going to regret going to Koh Samui etc. for diving.

On top of that, the first 2 posters, the ones you quote, are way overdoing it, as mentioned, there is some really nice diving in the Andaman Sea available in July. For the first days a snorkeling trip to Racha Noi and Racha Yai would be excellent.

I agree with the last post from Steven, by all means visit KT, but personally I would not recommend staying there more than a few days, there are only a handful of worthwhile dive sites, mostly you will find dive sites and boats overcrowded, I neither rate the diving there or the island, it is not my idea of a dive or a holiday destination.

July is low season in Thailand and diving in Thailand in general is not as good as the rest of the coral triangle. East coast of peninsular malaysia is better diving and its high season in july and easy to get to by bus or plane from phuket. I would spend a week in Perhentian islands(can fly to trengganu), a week in Tenggol island(frequent whale sharks) and a week in Tioman. Diving is cheaper too! Then from tioman you can bus to Kuala Lumpur and fly back to Phuket on AirAsia or Malaysia Airlines or others. 1 hour flight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom