Liquivision Rechargeable Battery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kelvkwok

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi, I am trying to replace my old K2 LFP123A 3.2V batteries with a new one but it is hard to get it in my local area and shipping them from oversea seems quite a hassle due to those battery shipping regulation.
The closest battery I can find in local is Nitecore NL166 which is 3.7V instead of the K2 3.2V. Has anyone use this in Liquivision before? Is there any specific difference between K2 LiFePO4 and Nitecore Li-ion rechargeable battery?
Thanks a lot.

Is this for a computer or transmitter? All-Battery.com stocks lots of battery types, and a quick search shows a LiFePO4 in 123A size. Rechargeable Batteries | All-Battery.com

I expect they are also available from Huish outdoors- they are handling service on Liquivision. I'm not sure if the higher voltage would be an issue, probably not but best to stick with the original specifications. Chargers are different for different chemistries however.

Ron

Hi Ron,
Thank you very much. It is for my Xeo computer. I did find they have the Tenergy RCR123A with 400mAh, compares to K2 LFP123A of 600mAh it is quite less than that. And when I tried to order it from them online, I could not select my residing country, Hong Kong as shipping destination.
I also worry about if I use the Nitecore, there is no corresponding battery type option in my Xeo so it may not reflect my remaining battery life hence dive time correctly. So just want to see if anyone tried similar before.

Kelvin

I also worry about if I use the Nitecore, there is no corresponding battery type option in my Xeo so it may not reflect my remaining battery life hence dive time correctly.
I think you're half right there. It won't be able to report any kind of accurate battery life status but I don't believe that its time keeping will be affected since that should be crystal- or oscillator-based.

You might try to buy them directly from the manufacturer. I bought several that way (I've got a couple of Lynx). They're much cheaper (6USD each) than from Liquivision but I don't know if they ship to HK. If you can't find any place to ship to HK, that page has a link to request a data sheet on the K2 battery so request one and then you'll have the specifications to find something else potentially compatible.

BTW, there's more to battery compatibility than just the voltage and mAh's - there's also how much current can be supplied at once, how low you can safely drain the battery, etc. I don't know if any of these come into play with a dive computer or bottom timer but I'd probably try to get as close to the original battery specs as possible just to be safe.

Hi TulsaTime,
Yes, totally agreed with you.
What I mean "dive time" is remaining operation time for the battery inside the Xeo. Sorry that I did not make myself clear enough.
K2 does not ship to Hong Kong too.
Thank you for your advice.

Kelvin

The Liquivision battery compartment is very tight and requires a specific size to fit. Most RCR123 batteries will not fit. What you need is an unprotected 16340. I've had good results with the Efest flat top IMR 16340 3.7V Li-Mn batteries. They are available in 700 mAh, which has plenty of current capacity to run the computer.

I could not find Efest IMR 16340 in local shop. May I ask did you select ICR16340 in your Liquivision battery type option which I think is the closest choice in terms of battery characteristics?
Seems like Nitecore NL166 worth a try in terms of size and technology.
Thank you.

Thanks again.
Nitecore NL166 and the charger is available in local shop. Will give it a try later on.

NL166 failed. Although it looks like the same specification as ICR16340, the size is a bit too long. I can hardly squeeze it into the battery compartment but the Xeo failed to turn on. The battery was measured 4.1V after it was fully charged. I have preset the battery type to ICR16340 already but it just failed to power up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom