Grand Cayman in the winter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Prevailing wind in the winter is from the North East at 15-20kts.
Generally it means the north wall isn't diveable much at all and east end diving tends to move more south. You may get a few days of calm weather but overall the odds aren't good. I think we got there for 3 days in 3 months.
North wall diving is typically mid May until September.

The wall extends all the way around East End and is pretty sheer no matter which wall site you go to. I worked 4.5 years as a dive instructor in East End and we had no problem diving the wall any particular time of the year (excepting a couple unfortunate days in September 2004).

Some of the most requested wall sites in East End are on the south. Wall sites on the south of East End such as The Maze and Jack McKenny's Canyons are some of the few East End sites with semi-regular shark sightings making them highly requested spots.

Pair those up with a shallow dive at a spot such as Maggie's maze or Ironshore Gardens and you've made for one of my favorite days of East End diving. Some excellent south shore shallow sites in East End too.

I've only been to Compass Point/Ocean Frontiers twice. In September we dived mostly northern sites, in November/December, we dived mostly southern sites. There are fantastic deep and shallow sites on both sides. I would add Scuba Bowl, another site on the "Corner," where Reef Sharks are frequently seen.

I've stayed in SMB/West Bay more than a half dozen times. We've always had trouble getting out to the North Wall during the winter, but, have occasionally gotten out. The diving in the West is just fine. The excellent shore diving sites at Cobalt Coast, Lighthouse Point, and Turtle Reef seem to be less reliable in the winter also, especially, the more north you are.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom