DPV lithium conversion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OtherHalf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I recently acquired an older 42AH Gavin scooter. I know the batteries are a little older and was warned they have limited battery life left. I was considering a lithium conversion. Anyone done this conversion before?

Yep. made a 24V 30AH battery. I only have a few hours on it since I made it. I would love to cut down the size of the tube so I can shed some weight, but have not made it that far yet

Where did you source the batteries from? I don't want to cut it down too much, if at all. The long tube gives a lot of stability in current so I'd be more interested in increasing battery size for longer life.

contact Ping batteries for a Life pack, should be able to mostly drop it and you'll be able to get a BIG pack in that tube size. Personally I'd cut it down to a 26ah size pack and put 40-60ah in there. The 42 is going to require serious amounts of lead

I have a suex XJoy 7, the small recreational model. I really like the scooter, but would like to increase my run time to cover two boat dives (run time right now is about 40 mins and would like to bump it to 60-70 mins). Thinking of a lithium conversion, but really don't know where to start. Any sources I can look to to investigate this?

here are the requirements for a battery swap

has to fit in the physical limits of your scooter battery compartment
has to have the same nominal voltage. IIRC the Xjoy7 uses a 24vx15ah SLA pack. If going life, you use an 8s pack, if lipo, a 7s. You'll be a bit higher voltage than the SLA pack so you'll get a bit more oomph
has to have the same connector. This is easily fixed, but helps to get the same one when you order the pack.

For that, I'd figure out life vs. lipo, measure the existing battery and its compartment, then contact a battery supplier to get a quote on a battery that fits in that size spot

Thanks tbone. I am going to contact Ping. They have a 24 v 15 ah pack that is almost exactly the same size as my NiMh 24v pack (it is just a hair smaller--so good!). I wonder what the weight difference will be and if I will have to add weight packs to the scooter . . .

Actually, I have an Xjoy 2, not a 7.

Guy-
There are companies like Tracer that sell lithium batteries for general use. "Brick" size for portable power supplies. I have no idea what size/form you need but suggest them as a start, unlike many web vendors they rate them honestly.
The problem with lithium batteries, if you are not aware of it, is that they require their own special charging routines and if you charge/use them improperly it is very easy to make very expensive paperweights out of them. Tracer's batteries come with chargers, so at least recharging is less likely a problem.

@Rred the ping batteries come with dedicated chargers and are sold no different than the Tracers.
The concern with Tracer is that they have no mention of whether the BMS is able to be used and charged in series or parallel. Very important since they only have a 24v 20ah battery as their largest option. Concerning since 20ah is pretty minimal for a primary use DPV and if the 12v packs can't be used in series, or the 24v in parallel, then it's problematic.

Other concern, and much more importantly for those of us in the US is that Tracer is in England which means they can't ship batteries to the USA, which is confirmed on their website

I have a suex XJoy 7, the small recreational model. I really like the scooter, but would like to increase my run time to cover two boat dives (run time right now is about 40 mins and would like to bump it to 60-70 mins). Thinking of a lithium conversion, but really don't know where to start. Any sources I can look to to investigate this?
contact suex?
dont they sell a conversion for that little guy?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom