Have a Flight Into Cancun but want to stay in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How is the ADO bus at handling mucho equipaje? My wife and I always talk about traveling lighter to Cozumel, but we always end up with 3 50.0# bags and a couple of carry-on's. We have flown direct to Cozumel for the last many years, but I might be open to a CUN flight some time if it's significantly cheaper.

Hi Gordon,

Southwest has daily non-stop flights (#708) from AUS to CUN. Gets you there in 2 1/2 hours and arrives just after 4pm. The plane is generally sold out for the high season and summer. I prefer the non-stop because there is one less chance they will lose the luggage and I spend less time in an airport. Doing the bag drag, if you hit Coz by 6, you are doing good. Total cost to get you to Coz should be less than $600rt.

Point for style, don't buy your ADO ticket after you leave customs. Always a long line when Southwest deplanes. Do the walk to the other end of the airport first and by your tickets at the bus' departure point.

Edit, Southwest uses Terminal 2.

Last edited:
One thing to consider with the ADO bus is that the departures on the hour will usually take about an hour and 10-15 minutes to make it to Playa. Most of the ferry departures are on the hour so often you will arrive to see the ferry already pulled away and enroute to Cozumel, which puts the travel time to about 2 3/4 hours. With 2 or more persons you might wish to consider a pre-arranged van. I believe Cvchief uses the folks at Lomas Travel and they seem to have a going rate of about $50 USD. They are much faster and will stop at OXXO so you can grab beer for the trip.

Thanks for all your great replies. One last thing: I'm assuming that a PADI referral instructor will be easy to find on Cozumel. We she (or they) complete the OW course will they receive a PADI card in español and should they bring a picture or anything else other than the referral?

Edit: Yes thanks - since there are 3 of us leaning towards the van.

Thanks for all your great replies. One last thing: I'm assuming that a PADI referral instructor will be easy to find on Cozumel. We she (or they) complete the OW course will they receive a PADI card in español and should they bring a picture or anything else other than the referral?

Edit: Yes thanks - since there are 3 of us leaning towards then van.

Your card should be in English (I did my course in Akumal and the cert is in English) and most shops will snap a picture with a camera or cell phone.

1. Bag drag
2. Casa Mexicana, great breakfast included but downtown so all kinds of great food within walking distance. There are numerous food threads on this site.
3. Aldora Divers. Picks up 1/2 a block away and uses 120 cf tanks for 90 minute dives. Blue XTSea, tresp Pelicanos, blue Magic, or dive with martin are other options as well.

This combination works well for us and we do it at least twice a year.

4. Safe travels!!!

Jay

Hi Gordon,

Southwest has daily non-stop flights (#708) from AUS to CUN. Gets you there in 2 1/2 hours and arrives just after 4pm. The plane is generally sold out for the high season and summer. I prefer the non-stop because there is one less chance they will lose the luggage and I spend less time in an airport. Doing the bag drag, if you hit Coz by 6, you are doing good. Total cost to get you to Coz should be less than $600rt.
Thanks for the bottom line. I can usually fly into CZM directly for not much more than that.

As others have said the bag drag is the way to go, plus with your number and weight of baggage the plane is not an option. Take a look at Aldora divers, they are one of the top 5 dive companies and they also have a Villa with nice rooms, a pool for training at the villa and they pick up their divers at the villa. You can probably get a package deal also since you have people taking OW.

Thanks for the bottom line. I can usually fly into CZM directly for not much more than that.

Last few years, RT flights to CZM have been $200+ more than CUN for me. I've done the bag drag 5 or 6 times now. It was fun and adventurous, maybe worth doing once just to experience the bus and bicycle carts and such. But that novelty has worn off for me and that $200 is getting to be a close call. When all is said and done, it chews up half a day on each end. If I fly into CZM I can do an afternoon shore dive, go to dinner, have a few beers, and feeling like I've spent the day on vacation whereas flying into CUN gets me into my hotel late and feeling like I've spent the day traveling.

And then there's the risk on return. Last trip we missed our flight. Despite leaving PDC at 1pm for a 5pm flight and feeling like we had a good margin, there was a major wreck that shut down the road and it took 4 hours. It wasn't a disaster as United got us out early next morning with no charge and we spent some fun time around the pool at a downtown hotel but not an experience I want to repeat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom