Reef friendly sunscreen and hair products

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do any of you know if using plain old coconut oil is a-ok - and if yes, have any of you done this with success?

I use coconut oil in my hair, and it works fantastically. Actually, my hair are much nicer and softer during/just after a dive trip because of that, when I am usually to lazy to do anything about it when I am at home.

Basically, I soak my hair in fresh water, cover them in coconut oil (you don't need huge amount, just a thin film of it to cover all your hair is enough), braid my hair. Then wash them at the end of the diving day. If I am courageous, I would condition them again, but not always. Slightly easier to comb if conditionned, but works also if not. I like to dash a little bit of oil again on the tips after I've washed them (either Nuxe or coconut depending on what I brought with me), but more for the smell than because it is really useful.

I was wondering about coconut oil. Today I cut about 3-4" off my hair so it's just above the collar line. Shouldn't be too bad for getting tangles out. I'm guessing once the hair is soaked in fresh water and oil it won't absorb any salt water. Easy peasy. Thanks!

Coconut oil all the way - especially for long hair

Coconut oil all the way - especially for long hair

Hi, @Wingy ! Is there a good method or perfect amount that you like to apply?

Also, I am under the impression that zinc oxide and titanium dioxide, on their own as active ingredients in sunscreens as physical/mineral, have not been proven or denied to affect reefs - so those would be safe as well for the time being. Is this correct?

I just purchased non-nano particle Zinc Oxide sticks for my face (easier for re-application!) from ThinkSport/ThinkBaby. Sun Bum's Baby Bum line also qualifies, as does All Good and I'm sure Beyond Coastal, Badger, and all of those other natural lines should have some. They should each have stick and lotion formulations.

Coconut oil goes a long way - I pour about as much as is recommended for conditioner (I was going to type about as much as a 20 cent coin but then realised you don't have the same currency) and rub my palms together then run them through my hair. After a dive and shower will put the same amount in then plait it.

I just purchased non-nano particle Zinc Oxide sticks for my face (easier for re-application!) from ThinkSport/ThinkBaby. Sun Bum's Baby Bum line also qualifies, as does All Good and I'm sure Beyond Coastal, Badger, and all of those other natural lines should have some.

jfyi: I'm embarrassed to say I was taken in by some "natural" marketing claims for products which ended up being horrible for marine life/coral. After some research, I found out the best way to determine if a sunscreen or other body product is ok for marine life/coral is to review all of the ingredients.

I came up with my own list of ingredients I personally wanted to avoid & then to my surprise, this public list of ingredients to avoid from Stream2Sea matched what I had come up with separately. The S2S list also had another ingredient that was problematic which I hadn't considered before, but after further review, it does seem to be an issue.

I'm slow to the party and need to do a better job monitoring the boards (@Wookie - lessons please?), but wanted to say thanks for 1) being eco conscious of the sunscreen and body care products you are using and 2) for trying and recommending mine! I'm a cosmetic chemist and started Stream2Sea after seeing a sunscreen slick come off a group of snorkelers. I've been obsessed with ingredients' eco impact ever since. As @NYCNaiad mentioned, not all mineral sunscreens are created equal. Definitely look for non-nano, but make sure to read the inactive ingredients as well. If anyone has questions, just let me know!

Autumn

Autumn, thanks for personally responding to this thread! I ordered my Stream2Sea sunscreen and decided to go with coconut oil on my hair to protect it from the saltwater. I'd love to use a conditioner but feel like I'm literally washing dollars over the side of the boat putting it in my hair before I dive and again after each dive. It's great to know there's a reef/eco/marine-life friendly version out there though! Btw, is there a reason that 30 is the highest rating you offer? I've heard that once you get to 30 there really isn't much of a difference (if any) when the numbers go up. Does the science back that up? Thanks so much!

Hey @kimbalabala ! Sorry for my delay... I need to do a better job monitoring here :) There's nothing wrong with coconut oil for protection. We use alot in our formulas, but it doesn't do much for the detangling. If it works for you, fantastic. If you need more, perhaps try the oil before the dive, but a little of our Leave In afterwards.

Regarding higher SPFs, as you have heard, sunscreens with very high SPFs offer only marginally better UVB protection (the rays that cause sunburn) than lower SPFs, yet consumers often believe they are getting double the protection. It would be logical to think that an SPF 30 would be twice as good as a 15, but that’s not how the ratings work. For example, an SPF 15 will block about 93% of the UVB rays, an SPF 30 will block about 97% and an SPF 50 will block about 98%. Beyond and SPF 30, the differences in protection are so minute yet give the users such a false sense of security that it may tempt people to stay in the sun longer than they should, while applying too little sunscreen. Your skin may be protected from sunburn, but could leave yourself exposed to the UVA rays that cause other kinds of skin and cellular damage.

We've also found that its really tough to get beyond an SPF 30 without using the chemical filters like oxybenzone, octinoxate, etc. Also, keep in mind that a water resistant product like ours was tested to be SPF 20 and SPF 30 AFTER 80 minutes in a water bath. That's the way the testing works :) I personally prefer the SPF 20 (its a little lighter) and have found that as long as I reapply every couple hours in the water, I am well protected.
uv-block.jpg

Let me know if you have any other questions!
Autumn

PS. I haven't figured out how to toggle between the business and personal profile. @Wookie I need lessons... preferably on a boat.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom