New access rules to Eagles Nest and Burford.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The locals don't know the difference between divers with 50 cave dives or 500 cave dives.. They just see that no matter how good you are.. Diving in Eagle nest can kill you and it needs to be closed.. You guys opened that door.. I can't wait till you cave divers start calling the game warden on each other... And they start locking up the caves off the ballroom.. As the old saying goes... Watch what you ask for..

Jim..
Good. Call the warden. Keep people out that don't belong.

Locking up the caves off the ballroom is lol. Who is gunna do that?

I attended the FWC meeting along with TJ to represent the NSS-CDS. In attendance were the representatives and heads of PADI, TDI, NACD, IANTD, KUR, the IUCRR, and DAN. There were at least four people there that had recovered bodies from the cave.

Option 1 being explored by the FWC was bowing to pressure from the public that were complaining to elected officials about the "killer cave" and closing the site down for all.

Option 2 was to come up with a viable plan that would allow the site to remain open for qualified and experienced divers.

Everyone in attendance decided option 2 was the better option.

Cave diver certification, 100 full cave dives, and trimix training do not strike me as outrageous or too much to ask for the "Mount Everest of cave diving".
What about Buford?

Good. Call the warden. Keep people out that don't belong.

Locking up the caves off the ballroom is lol. Who is gunna do that?

That'll be the next step.. just like other caves that are gated...I have no skin in this game.. But, I hate when crap like this happens... The start of the end to Diving at eagle nest.. Cave divers bad mouth each other like crazy.. Always calling the other group dangerous..

Jim..

Cave divers bad mouth each other like crazy.. Always calling the other group dangerous..

Cave divers, wreck divers, reef divers and muff divers all bad mouth each other.

As a group, cave divers take care of their own and are passionate about cave diver safety and are looking for solutions.

This seems to be the best solution I have seen, and I've been looking for a lot of years.

What is dangerous is doing nothing....

That'll be the next step.. just like other caves that are gated...I have no skin in this game.. But, I hate when crap like this happens... The start of the end to Diving at eagle nest.. Cave divers bad mouth each other like crazy.. Always calling the other group dangerous..

Jim..
No, like actually who is going to do it?

There are like 4 caves that are grated in Fl. Litha Spring (small entrance, shallow), ginnie spring (small entrance, shallow), vortex (you guessed it), and the little side tunnels in Devils Den (no points for guessing this one).

Eagles nest off of the ballroom is a horse of a different color.

There are tons of caves with rules that aren't under constant public scrutiny combined with calls for closure. It's an effective measure.

Jim..

You'd need to see the place to appreciate it, but locking that place off would take one heck of a lock, and one heck of a locksmith to put it on--

Pardon the ignorance of a non cave diver. I have read about eagles nest and the Divers who have died in there. Can people not tell the difference between qualified Divers and the ones that thought they could dive a system like that and get themselves killed because they had no business being there.

Pardon the ignorance of a non cave diver. I have read about eagles nest and the Divers who have died in there. Can people not tell the difference between qualified Divers and the ones that thought they could dive a system like that and get themselves killed because they had no business being there.
The problem is that there is no one there continually to tell the difference.

Did something happen at Buford sink too? Or is it being regulated just because it's in the same county? (Sorry for being out of the loop)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom