Safes at Hotel Barracuda?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I understand. Must be a really old hotel. No elevators.

You're on your way, and might not see this, but upsides of the Barracuda are ocean view rooms right on the water and location, location, location. Have a great trip!!

There is a safe at the front desk for all guests' use available during specific hours (something like 9 am - 9pm). Whatever you wish to put in the safe will be listed on your receipt, then placed in a large envelope, sealed, and both the hotel & guest initial the envelope. There is a charge of $1 USD each time you want to take things out of the safe. I do use it for my passport and to keep extra funds, but have never had a problem with money or anything else missing that's kept in my room.

So I think the little known secret is that the safe is off-site. Hence the limited hours for access and the fee. But, I've had the same experience there. I (sometimes) use it for my passport but, have never had an issue with anything I've left in my room there over the years.

Hmmmmm.....debated posting this as it was a long time back, but seems the OP may wish to know. I stayed at the Barracuda many times in the early 2000s. It was my go to place as it appealed my minimalist style back then and the location was pleasant. This was pre-Wilma before they put that loud bar in the back. I brought my brother one year who decided to bring a lot of cash with him. A bad idea for sure, but he felt safe enough trusting it to the hotel safe during his stay. He had $200 of his money stolen by an employee whom was apparently fired for this very offense. After much arguing and haranguing around with the staff, the money was returned after a few days. We were utterly livid and it really was just incredibly upsetting. While the money was returned, we had several nasty encounters with management before that happened at all. Apple from DP and Tony Rome(salt of the earth kind of guy) helped us out quite a bit in getting things straightened out. Nonetheless, it was our last stay at the Barracuda. Hopefully, this type of thing will not be repeated in the future and I haven't heard of any similar experiences since then. But I do like room safes now....

That would definitely be very frustrating ! Maybe that's one of the reasons why the hotel staff now counts & verifies the money with the guest each time it is put in or taken out of the safe, along with both parties initialing the envelope once it's been taped closed. Management & staff have always been very accommodating - several of us stay there regularly and have had nothing but positive experiences.

That would definitely be very frustrating ! Maybe that's one of the reasons why the hotel staff now counts & verifies the money with the guest each time it is put in or taken out of the safe, along with both parties initialing the envelope once it's been taped closed. Management & staff have always been very accommodating - several of us stay there regularly and have had nothing but positive experiences.

Yeah, they did that back then as well. Counted it in front of us, recorded it, initials all around....only there was $100 missing on two separate occasions when he went to retrieve it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom