Diver dead in Font Estramar, France

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is that the same Saami?

Edit: Glad to see he is only translating this time. His facebook explains that he had lent his gear to the team, and it was rumored that he was the victim.

Is 'imploding' or flooding a common problem with scooters as, let's say, a frozen regulator in cold water and is there any relation to a regular maintenance of the device or is this just a case of brown matter that just happens and you can't do much about it?
Some people use the term "crush depth" to refer to the depth at which specific equipment can be at risk for failing due to water pressure. Divers going to those depths need to be very conscious of that risk with all their equipment. I would have to assume that this dive team was well aware of the pressure ratings of their equipment, so the scooter he had was probably rated to deeper than that. (I recognize that all that is assumption.)

"Crush depth" is sometimes used to refer as well to the depth (and conditions) at which the diver's training and experience is inadequate considering the risks. I know my personal crush depth would be one heck of a lot shallower than this dive.

Statement from Saami Paakkarinen?
Is he the same Saami who went and recovered the victims in Plurdalen cave in 2014?

My scooter (Cuda 650) is rated at 600 feet. When a scooter manufacturer establishes maximum parameters for his equipment, does he factor in a safety margin? I'm thinking of scuba tanks or hoses that have a usable pressure range and a bursting pressure limit.

What brand of scooter were they using?

My scooter (Cuda 650) is rated at 600 feet. When a scooter manufacturer establishes maximum parameters for his equipment, does he factor in a safety margin? I'm thinking of scuba tanks or hoses that have a usable pressure range and a bursting pressure limit.

What brand of scooter were they using?
Those ratings assume O-rings and shaft seals are changed annually and inspected regularly. Every time the scooter is opened to charge the battery you risk damaging the sealing surface and the O-ring. Every time the scooter is run out of water you risk damaging the shaft seal. At 20ATAs it doesn't take a lot for a failure to occur.

Well, if the information on a Finnish newspaper is correct, it seems that the diver who came out after 500 minutes of dive time has some kind of problems following safe dive rules. He has now lost 4 buddies in a couple of years span and been given a ban to a Swedish mine.

Luolasukeltajan kuolema Ranskassa: Samat suomalaismiehet saivat porttikiellon Ruotsin sukelluskaivokseen viime vuonna

Sure, in dives at 200m, it's just a matter of "following safe dive rules". I don't know many divers that have been pushing limits that haven't lost some of their friends to the sport... Now I'll admit I don't know so many guys that do this kind of explorations, but it's obvious that it comes at a cost.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom