BCD for short, but not tiny, woman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm 5-3, and did very well in a Deep Sea Supply "short" 5 lb backplate and an 18lb Oxycheq wing for warm water diving. Infinitely adjustable, and you can add a couple of 1 lb single tank adapters if you want to wear thicker exposure protection. I admit that I was fortunate to have someone set it up for me and tweak it until it felt like a second skin. That said, ten to one says there's no shortage of tech-savvy people who would be very happy for the opportunity to tinker with some new gear in exchange for pizza and beer.

My wife is almost the exact same size as you (slightly shorter). We have only been diving for a few years so are by no means experts. She has never complained about the fitting of her BC, probably because of the lack of comparison. What she has complained about it the fitting of wetsuits and tank size. If you find a wet or dry suit that fits off the rack PLEASE post details. As for the tank I would strongly suggest getting a steal 80 tank.

Ok. Doesn't look like she has been back since the original question but here is the perfect solution to her problem...

For Sale - Freedom Contour Plate - Small $175

It does seem a similar length to other small plates, but it says it's for 5'2"? The OP is 4'11".

I think the DSS is/was 13"; the Halcyon small is 14". Not sure how long the UTD one is. Depends on the length of the wing and the attachment point too.

It does seem a similar length to other small plates, but it says it's for 5'2"? The OP is 4'11".

I think the DSS is/was 13"; the Halcyon small is 14". Not sure how long the UTD one is. Depends on the length of the wing and the attachment point too.
Most of the small plates quote 5'3. The Oxycheq small is 15 inches so quite some variations even in small. I was going by my own experience at 5'2" but short waisted. The curve will fit at the wastline so its possible the top edge may sit a little high but it is so adjustable I don't think it would be an issue unless it makes the tank too high and hits her head. I had this problem and had to place the cambands low on the plate but high on the tank.

I would say the sweet spot for this plate is 5'2" to 5'6

Last edited:
Add me to the Zena camp. I am not short but I am very short waisted with a super short torso and this thing fits me like a charm.

We are about the same size and I love my Zeagle Zena - but I also added a crotch strap. The crotch strap has really made it work fantastic. I turn upside down to take pictures (and to act silly) and I HATE it when my BC rides up around my ears as a result. Once I added the crotch strap it all stayed in place throughout the dive. But the crotch strap might just make any BC work well because it keeps it all in place. You can order them at leisure pro for abut $8.

I have a backplate/wing from DSS and also one from Halcyon. I'm 5'1" and got the shorter plate for both. They are perfect and the harness gives you infinite adjustments for fit.

Back
Top Bottom