Diving books recomendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PM Sent.

You should, for a lighter side read or two while also learning a bit, try The Scuba Snob's Guide to Diving Etiquette, and the Scuba Snobs Guide to Diving Etiquette Book2. They are not to everyone's taste, but they are full of funny stories and good lessons learned from those stories. Rated PG13.
Divemaster Dennis

... The visits to the Sea of Okhotsk must of been nerve wrecking. It's hard to imagine working on the sea floor connecting cables to the bundle of communication sites...

Several of the divers I worked with came from the Halibut and several I helped to train in sat diving had orders to the Halibut and Seawolf. I have no doubt that any of them could handle all the sweaty-palm moments. A lot of their close-calls on the sat diving side of the operation directly influenced updates to our procedures on the Mark II Deep Dive System. I NEVER heard any scuttlebutt about their lockouts though, even after way too much beer was consumed.

I never knew exactly what they were doing until reading Blind Man's Bluff. We all knew there were tiny sat systems on those boats; even though we hadn't been "read-in". We just called everything going on at the Mare Island Naval Shipyard "The Projects" and understood they were classified and to keep all references between us. That book connected a lot of the dots for me.

They weren't actually "connecting cables" in the classic sense. They placed a recording pod next to the cable and captured signals through induction (photos are in the book). The idea was that a module physically spliced into the cable would eventually be discovered when the cable was pulled up for repairs. That would alert them to change procedures that might have been compromised. Unfortunately a spy did that for us.

I didn't see it listed but I'm currently reading The Six Sills and Other Discussions (creative solutions for technical divers) by Steve Lewis. I think there's plenty of good info for rec divers.

Several of the divers I worked with came from the Halibut and several I helped to train in sat diving had orders to the Halibut and Seawolf. I have no doubt that any of them could handle all the sweaty-palm moments. A lot of their close-calls on the sat diving side of the operation directly influenced updates to our procedures on the Mark II Deep Dive System. I NEVER heard any scuttlebutt about their lockouts though, even after way too much beer was consumed.

I never knew exactly what they were doing until reading Blind Man's Bluff. We all knew there were tiny sat systems on those boats; even though we hadn't been "read-in". We just called everything going on at the Mare Island Naval Shipyard "The Projects" and understood they were classified and to keep all references between us. That book connected a lot of the dots for me.

They weren't actually "connecting cables" in the classic sense. They placed a recording pod next to the cable and captured signals through induction (photos are in the book). The idea was that a module physically spliced into the cable would eventually be discovered when the cable was pulled up for repairs. That would alert them to change procedures that might have been compromised. Unfortunately a spy did that for us.

Thanks for the background. a FYI, we use similar "induction" connections for our ocean earthquake monitoring systems. Much of our successes are due to research funded by ONR.

Deep Into Deco - Asser Salama
Deco for Divers - Mark Powell
A WALK ON THE DEEP SIDE - John Kean
Mystery of The Last Olympian: Titanic's Tragic Sister Britannic - Richie Kohler, Charlie Hudson
Fatally Flawed - The Quest to be Deepest - Verna van Schaik
Diving Medicine for SCUBA Divers - Dr Carl Edmonds
Diving into de past - Robert F. Burgess
Deep Descent - Kevin F. McMurray
Wakulla Bones - Jeff Bauer
Where Divers Dare: The Hunt for the Last U-Boat - Randall Peffer
The Cavern Kings - Jeff Bauer
The Cave Divers - Robert F. Burgess
El Hombre Subacuático - Manual de fisiologia y riesgos del buceo - Francisco Verjano Diaz
The Wall: Chronicle of a Scuba Trial - Martin Lawrence
The Great Buoyancy Scam - And how to avoid it - John Kean
El secreto sumergido: Aventura y misterio en la Patagonia - Cristian Perfumo
Scuba Professional: Insights into Sport Diver Training & Operations - Simon Pridmore
Lost Wife, Saw Barracuda - True Stories from a Sharm El Sheikh Scuba Diving Instructor - John Kean
Under Dark Waters: The Life and Distressed Times of a Commercial Diver - Scott A. Kilgore
Setting the Hook: A Diver's Return to the Andrea Doria - Peter M. Hunt
Dark Descent - Kevin F. McMurray
The Last Dive: A Father and Son's Fatal Descent into the Ocean's Depths - Bernie Chowdhury
Shadow Divers - Robert Kurson
Into the Lion's Mouth - Michael Smart
Sealab - Ben Hellwarth

Some of them are in spanish, my native language.
Some are historic books, some novels, some technical.
Some are great, some not so.

Also some e-books have a free sample chapter. If the reading is interesting, you can buy the book.
I've tried some like :

Papa topside
Ocean Gladiator
Raising the death
Trapped Under the sea
Blind Descent
Descent into darkness
Bottom time
Sunken treasure
Almost tranquilo
What your scuba diving course does not tell you
Seeking transformation
Darkness below
The first 130 feet

Not one book in that list that focuses on marine life... ?

Not one book in that list that focuses on marine life... ?

Any one has it's own interests and that's not something to be ashamed of. If you are interested in marine life, good for you. I'm not obliged to read books related to marine life just because that's something you are interested in.

Back
Top Bottom