Things you've found under water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Recently I found a 1945 Coke bottle off Managaha in Saipan in great shape. Just a little crust that washed off in the sink. That and a spent .50 cal shell have been my best finds. I have only been here 6 months so far though. So much potential!

We found some explosives on a Sunday morning dive in an old quarry we had never visted before. Didn't know what they were at the time, but it was my very 1st dive with my new Ikelite case and S95, so I took a few photos. My buddy called early that evening,said a neighbor's kid was now a young policeman and that Mr. young policeman would really like to see my photos. So I sent the photos by email about 7 PM. Several hours later I had 3 different police agencies phone me, the last one at quarter to midnight! And it was a real tragedy because they demanded that buddy & I both skip work on Monday and go diving again. Public service should always be such a sacrifice: forced to go diving instead of sitting in our offices on a gorgeous summer day. The next morning we drove back out and met a couple police and fire units at the quarry. We and were asked to go in first to locate the sticks (some stuff inside white plastic, about the size of roadway flares) and mark the locations so the fire dept divers could find them. We left reflector slabs next to each spot, set an SMB in the general area and then got out to let the Fire Dept divers do their thing.

The fire dept divers went out and packaged up the stuff in some manner (didn't bring it out with them, IDK why). Then they got lost on the way back. Yep, got lost in a relatively square quarry hardly 1/4 acre in size. They wandered into a small pocket-like area just to the side of the exit ramp and simply could not seem to figure out what went wrong. I guess their compasses said the exit should be in this corner, so they kept running back and forth along 6m of wall as we all stood around looking down straight down on them hardly 5m away and their boss rattled away trying to explain the navigation problem to them over their mask radios. You could tell they were pros because they stayed down discussing the problem the full 15min it took to get them otta there. A recreational diver would have just gone 2m up and looked, but serious divers apparently don't peek. :)

When we left to go home, the cop in charge said there was likely to be some explosives residue in the water, so we should rinse our drysuits quite well, and probably not try to carry them on any flying trips (i.e. past explosive-sensing dogs) in the next several weeks :eek:
Just to be safe we decided to rinse the suits immediately: we went diving at a 2nd location on our way home, unfortunately extending so much time on this official police business that I hardly made it in to work at all.

Unfortunately the police remained a bit upset about that site and ended up draining the entire quarry to make sure they found everything. My sincere apologies to the resident fish. I certainly never meant that to happen.

Drysuit has since flown several times with no problems.

Can't think of anything else I've found that was nearly as interesting.

Last edited:
Let's see .. Rolex oyster quartz, cars, bodies, guns, etc. Dove for local law enforcement. Anything you can imagine.

Found this little vase today. will have to do a little digging to find out more about it.

BPvase.png

I found a bunch of trash, bottles, a knife and a vase in a mangrove area in Key Largo this week doing a clean up for Project Aware with Rainbow Reef...Nothing nice but it counts for something I suppose.

The usual stuff

dive knife (happened swim into the diver that lost it about 5 minutes later)
sunglasses
weights
tires
etc.

also found an open umbrella, but I left it there
and a car hood - this one was strange because it was out in the ocean pretty far from where anyone could have easily lost it. This was during a clean up and I tried to pull it out and lift bag it back to shore, but it was stuck in there pretty tight.

Hoods from some cars we used when i was i kid, pulled behind the boat and us kids rode on them. maybe someone did the same and the line broke.

How would I explain trying to get a tag for a stolen car? LOL It probably is still listed as stolen at the DMV.

It is probably owned by some insurense company. It is probably more expensive for them to salvage it then what it is worth.

In some countries the owner have the obligation to take "trash" out of the nature, the environmental obligation can be a liability for the company so they can be glad to give it away.

We found some explosives on a Sunday morning dive ......

Can't think of anything else I've found that was nearly as interesting.

Yeah, that's going to be hard to top.

When i was younger i used to snorkel and freedive, I cleaned up outside my parents hose, that was an old summerhouse by the lake. I found many old oildrums (probably used as floatation for jetty), some foldable iron beds, the stand from old fot-operated sewing machine, lawnmower and more things the preveus owners just thrown in.

In my twenties i sailed alot, and me and a friend used to go to a popular natural harbor where many sailors spent time in the summer, it had a terrible bottom where anchors get stuck. In the late summer we went there and salvaged many lost anchors every year, sold them in the spring. we also found many other small things like glasses, spoons, forks, knifes and fishing equipment. I think of going back there some day to see if it is still a goop place to salvage.

Back
Top Bottom