Vice squad alert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wildbill9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Ok, I will admit it I have some bad vices but it is my vacation. I smoke and was wondering the cost of Marlboro lights in cozumel? Should I buy duty free or wait till I get there? My wife loves Don Julio Blanco is it available and any estimate on the cost? I am not going to drink before diving, I am not going to smoke while diving. I will be respectful of others and not blow alcohol on them while I am drinking my smokes. Tanks....Bill

My suggestion would be to buy them there to save luggage space for more gear. I love to find supermarket or pharmacy near hotel.

Would it be off topic if I asked if anyone has ever used nicotine patches to get through a day of diving without smoking? I wish I could hand them out on boats.
We were in a boat of Europeans, all smoking at front of boat, while Diesel engines were smogging other end of boat. Any more smoke and I would have turned into pemmican.

As a non-smoker, I can totally relate to smoking on boats. The sad truth is that cigarette smoking is common on just about all boats, resorts, and dive centers in SE Asia. I have no choice but to ignore the smoke - luckily most folks smoke outside. :wink:

I'm afraid I don't know if Don Julio specifically is available, but if it is I promise you it's far less expensive than anywhere in the US or at a duty-free shop. There is lots of very good tequila sold in the country where all of it is made, so even if that brand isn't available there are some wonderful tequilas available.

I also don't know the price of cigarettes. Don't presume that prices at a duty-free shop are necessarily going to be less than at home. Just because they don't charge you import duty doesn't mean they don't make up more than the difference with profit. The answer to whether you should bring or buy may also depend less on price than on your rate of consumption. If you don't smoke much, I should think carting cigarettes would likely not be worth it. If you inhale a carton a day, price differences would matter more. For the brief interval before you die from smoking that much.

We buy much, much better tequila down there than we would ever consider buying here in the States. Was told that a pack of cigarettes cost about $3.75/pack at OXXO, but can't personally verify.

smokes are cheap in Coz, don't bother bringing any.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

My GF smokes Marlboro Light and the Mexican equivalent is Marlboro Blanco (the box is mainly white). Last December they were 46 pesos at MEGA and Chedraui which right now is about $2.57 US. I don't recall if there are any OXXO stores in San Miguel but in Puerto Vallarta the price was 51 pesos. It was difficult to find a carton in San Miguel but there is a store North of the ferry dock called Super Market that does sell cartons, if they have enough is stock.

Go to the corner store right outside the gates to the military base. They had Don Julio blanco and it was around 600 peso.

As a former smoker... Don't buy Mexican Marlboros. Yeah, they are cheaper in Mexico and you'll certainly know why with your first drag. Buy a carton in the states and pack it, sample a a pack of Mexican Marlboros for kicks. You'll be glad you brought the carton!

Chain-smoking a pack of Mexican Marlboro reds was the last act before I quit cigarettes. I still enjoy cigars especially with a nice rum or mojito at La Casa.

Back
Top Bottom