diving fitness?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think I need to try this yoga thing. After this weekend of diving I'm rather sore. Doing weight training, walking daily etc. Think I should add yoga to the mix. My air consumption is rather poor.... although I'm 6' 2" 230.... :wink:

"Yoguy"?

"Scuboga"?
Broscience meaning "usually ********-science you hear in gyms", I would indeed have stayed away from "broga". But I guess their target audience doesn't know this.

You don't have to be particularly athletic to be a competent diver, but you should be fit enough to deal with emergencies, and strong enough to get yourself and your gear out of the water.

I like to work out at the gym ... splitting my time between weights and cardio. I typically go three or four times a week. And on week-ends when I'm not diving, I'm generally active in other ways, usually skiing or hiking. I'm lucky enough to live in an area where there are a lot of options for outdoor activities. And our local diving is mostly from shore, so you do have to be fit enough to make your way back to the car with all your gear after the dive ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'm 6'2" and 330lbs... If I can do it anyone can. I'm overweight, but I do maintain some simblance of physical fitness. I easily passed the swim test for my OW cert and I did a bottom rescue during the class without inflating mine or my partners BC to surface. Because of scuba I have come to realize that I need to be better physically fit to enjoy all the things I want to in life for as long as I can and I have recently started going back to the gym. I have plenty of prior injuries (4 herniated discs, plenty of broken bones, torn ligaments and joints that have been pulled out of the socket) but like I said, if I can do it anyone can!

Im no where near the conditioning factor that I once was...but I try. I was a decathlete and a pretty dedicated MMA/BJJ instructor who once trained 5 days a week...

These days I try to get 20-30 miles a week running and I usually hit about 20 or so....and I force myself to lift 2-3 days per week but I have no motivation for the "old school" days of 3 hours at the gym so Im low weight, high rep...25 min in and out...Im exactly the weight I want to be....so I dont want another ounce on me...

I feel a lot more comfortable in the water when Im in shape.... no question about it. When I get a minor injust that sidelines me from exercise but not diving (IT band, Plantar fasciitis, lazy month syndrome, etc)....I can feel a difference in my comfort in the water after a few months.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom