El Capitan State Beach diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rypark1999

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, I have reservations for a group camp site at El Capitan State Beach Campground (Ortega Group Camp site) in July for 3 days/2 nights (Fri-Sun). The site is on the beach side of the 101 fwy.

However, only two in our group dives. Suffice it to say the main purpose of this trip is not diving. But, my sister and I are hoping to get two dives done on Saturday morning before spending time with the non-diving family members.

Are there kelp beds/rocky floors to explore for sea life? If there are, where would be the best entry point? (Ortega camp site is located at the far north end of the campgrounds. There is a staircase that leads down to the beach by the campsite.)

Thank you!!

PS: I've looked into shorediving.com and they just review Refugio Beach. I'm limited to El Capitan (ie: wake up and get in the water; no driving out of El Capitan) I also did a "El Capitan" search in this forum and didn't find much. Thanks again.

El%20Capitan_zps5nkdvh2p.jpg

It's a rocky entry but there are reefs right off the point. Watch for currents. This is a popular surfing spot so avoid it if there are surfers in the water.

Thanks Max!! Yeah I saw the google earth photo of the point. And was curious about the dark spots there. Thanks on the surfer warning.

My campsite is at the other end of the campground and I wasn't looking forward to humping my gear to the point. Oh well, gotta suck it up, I guess.

I guess not much to see on the north side (aka west end) of campground, huh?

There is a day use lot close to the point I just drove the gear down from the campsite and staged there. Hiking gear on the west end is a no go due to the cliffs. Stairs were washed out last time I was there. The entry is not rocky if you start at the East end of the sandy beach and swim toward the point. There was some kelp but not much, lots of rockfish and big sheep crab it's a fun dive.

There is some kelp on Google Earth off the sandy beach to the west of the other campground. It's near shore and may be shallow but it dosen't hurt to bring gear if you have room.

Thanks. Yeah, I guess I'll have to scope it out when I get there.

There is a day use lot close to the point I just drove the gear down from the campsite and staged there. Hiking gear on the west end is a no go due to the cliffs. Stairs were washed out last time I was there. The entry is not rocky if you start at the East end of the sandy beach and swim toward the point. There was some kelp but not much, lots of rockfish and big sheep crab it's a fun dive.

Thanks for the heads up. I just called the area headquarters and they confirmed that the stairs near Ortega campsite are inaccessible. They said to access the beach go through the day use area.

Is there a longshore current wrapping around the point (or really any current)? I know way further south at Point Dume there is a longshore current. Just wondering if similar conditions are present at El Capitan.

Thanks.

Thanks for the heads up. I just called the area headquarters and they confirmed that the stairs near Ortega campsite are inaccessible. They said to access the beach go through the day use area.

Is there a longshore current wrapping around the point (or really any current)? I know way further south at Point Dume there is a longshore current. Just wondering if similar conditions are present at El Capitan.

Thanks.
Did you ever dive this site?

Here's a bathymetric map of the area.

There is much more structure at Refugio. Very nice diving there when conditions are good.

I freedove El Cap a few times and there was some kelp and i spotted some short white sea bass. But not much to see compared to Refugio -- I would recommend going there.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240408_013404_Boating.jpg
    Screenshot_20240408_013404_Boating.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 8
Here's a bathymetric map of the area.

There is much more structure at Refugio. Very nice diving there when conditions are good.

I freedove El Cap a few times and there was some kelp and i spotted some short white sea bass. But not much to see compared to Refugio -- I would recommend going there.
Refugio is temporarily closed until further notice:

3/15/2024 - Refugio State Beach is closed until further notice. Due to infrastructure failures including the main entrance and exit road, the park will remain fully closed for repairs. All reservations through May 16th are cancelled and will be contacted accordingly. There is no anticipated date of re-opening at this time.

Back
Top Bottom