Questions about spearfishing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I would like to get into spearfishing but where I live I believe its very limited(Freeport, Texas). I would like to begin with a pole spear in the rivers in my area I just don't know about the visibility. Does anyone have experience in murky waters or the gulf. And is it viable to swim about 100 yards off shore and spearfish? Sorry for so many questions just was trying to get everything on one post, thank you for your time.
- Chad

Sorry for the late reply, I would skip the rivers in that area and 100 yards out of Surfside really wont work either. I would suggest investing in a kayak. If you go to Surfside and look out you will see some small oil platforms a couple of miles just north of east that usually hold 8-10ft vis on days when you could kayak out. Obviously you should get someone else to paddle out with you and you need to practice getting back on the boat before you go out to far. When I have done this I launched at the little park behind the jetty, it's a little farther but easier than going through the surf. If you have friends with a boat the Vancouver is just 11 miles south of the end of the jetty 7 miles offshore which keeps it in Texas waters and both the state and some private entities have installed some pyramids around it. I would go with you but I got rid of my kayak.

Back
Top Bottom