Wetsuit for Sydney Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I personally wouldn't do that in Winter here. I think your 6.5 is on the money.

In a dilemma right now. A friend of mine always wanted to purchase my Mares Flexa Therm (semi-dry, 6.5mm). After all I read here I was thinking on selling it to him and going for a regular 5mm wetsuit, like the Seac Sub WarmFlex Plus 5mm, and add the hood, gloves and socks I own during winter. Maybe add a vest under the suit, if needed.

How would you guys rate my Mares Flexa Therm (semi-dry, 6.5mm) for summer usage? Too much? If so I guess I will sell it and go for a regular 5mm...

I will probably be doing just regular advanced open water dives for now (30m max, but usually at 20m). I plan to go to the "Tec Side" one day, but then I would probably invest on a dry-suit.

Cheers!

Hi Fred,

Honestly, the 6.5 will only be too much for about 3 months of the year, from late Jan to March, outside of that I think you will be fine. Likewise a 5mm will be great from October to June, but maybe a bit light on for July to Sept. We are just in the zone between too much and not enough. You can track our surface sea temperature at [[ MHL NSW Offshore Sea Surface Temperature ]] but this doesn't necessarily give you a good dive temp as the its only measures at about 5 ft below surface. As side earlier, I had 18.5deg as a 20m temp 2 weeks ago while the surface temp was 22deg and I've had 18deg at 10m in Botany Bay when the surface temp was 23.5deg about 2 months ago, but I have also had 23 deg on the surface and at 10m as well so you cant just arbitrarily subtrack 3 deg from the surface temp.

So on average
Jan - March = 20-24 deg water temp at 10M
April - June = 18-22
July - Sept = 15-19
Oct - Dec = 17-21

These are all +- 2deg

A 5mm +++ extras should see you through a full year (at least that's what I'm hoping for)

The "popular" 5mm semi in Sydney at the moment is the Probe iDry http://www.probewetsuits.com/shop-aus/category.asp?cat=22&menu=Y they retail for around the $500AUD mark. As said earlier, I'm about to start layering my $60 3mm shortie over the top for the extra core insulation, as there is no way I could get something under my iDry, without it bunching up somewhere, it fits that snug.

When you mention "full sharkskin over the vest" you mean this over this? Is it enough? :eek:
For me an my hubby but we don't feel the cold that much. Guess we have too much bioprene :)

I wouldn't really sell what you have til you find out how it works for you. Wetsuits are expensive here so you could risk selling something at a bit of a loss to buy something very similar. Best of luck with all this. I just think sometimes people get too bundled up. For us doing predominantly shore dives the constrictions of a wetsuit and the additional weight to sink it are bigger issues than being a little cooler during the dive.

Thank you all for your replies, you were all great! I will probably sell my 6.5 (bought it overseas, so I can sell it here without loss) and purchase the 5mm I mentioned. Little less neoprene, little less weight. And look for a neutrally buoyant vest or shorties, if winter gets too cold... I like the 5mm idea better, as it is a more "all-arounder"...

Cheers and see you all soon!

I think that would be suitable - while I'm on the opposite side of the country my water temps are roughly the same - although last time I dived in Sydney it was a rather uncomfortable 16c in wet hired gear (I had no plans on diving, spur of the moment thing)

I have a Mares Isotherm 6.5mm semi dry which I really dislike. I dislike my 7mm even more in winter but I've been quite comfy lately with my 5mm and a lavacore vest with hood on underneath. I'm also thinking of selling the semi dry because I think it is actually trying to kill me by compressing my carotid artery and I haven't ever felt snug and happy in it.

5mm and lavacore should do for most of the year if you think you're ok with cooler temps.

lol yes that can be the issue with Sydney I remember a southern current came in one Christmas. We had dived 3 days before and temps were 21C I was the first to stride in off the eastern ledge at Bare Island and the water had dropped to 15C. I was diving in the Sharkskin.. got a bit cold before the end of the dive.. I figured I was wet.. might as well stay a while. I warned the rest of the group before they splashed but they didn't believe me. Everyone hit the water and surfaced squaking like seagulls about how cold it was. Didn't do our normal 80 to 90 minutes that dive :0

Hi Everyone,

Just to let you know that I am already in Sydney, with a 5mm suit and ready to get wet! Let's see if the 5mm is enough for winter or if I will need to get a vest or something.

Will try to do my first dive next Friday (30th June), with Abyss guys. Will any of you be able to join?

Cheers!

P.S.: Drop me a private message so I can give you my mobile phone so we can arrange a davie together.

Hi Fred,

I was in last Saturday off Kurnell with Abyss, water temp 18. I had my 5 with a 3 shorty over the top. 3mm gloves and hood. Was good until the last 5 mins of 2nd dive.

Everyone on the dive had something under their suit for that little extra.

Can't do Friday dives as I have a real job :-D

Planning to do their Seal dive on the 2nd July.

Back
Top Bottom