Grand Caymen - Dive operators / sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are many good dive ops on Grand Cayman, where are you staying and how much diving do you want to do? Are you mostly on vacation and plan to do a little diving, or will you be there for a diving vacation? Will you have a car? Are you only interested in boat diving or would you like to do some shore diving too? Are you traveling solo or with a dive buddy? Don't mean to give you the inquisition but the more information we have the more helpful we can be! :)

Last edited:
I just got back from a week diving with DNS. Great guys! Their formula is a deep wall dive followed by a shallower reef dive. Make sure they take you to Princess Penny's Pinnacle.
-PH

There's so many dive ops on Grand Cayman and I don't think any bad ones would last so it really depends what you're looking for and somewhat on where you're staying. Perhaps start with some reading in Cayman Islands to get a feel for things.

PS: I did hear good things about Indago Divers, but I hadn't used them (yet). Maybe next trip!

-PH

I have used Lobster Pot Divers on several occasions, and was very happy with their dive op, boats, Instructors/DMs, and their selection of dive sites. One of the nice things about Lobster Pot is they are co-located with two other dive ops, so if Lobster Pot does not have slots, they can work with the other two so you can maximize the likelihood that you will dive.

Depending on where you are staying might be a determining factor of the dive op you choose if you're looking for convenience (usually a factor for me.) Several good ops are around the island and I haven't seen any bad things written about any that have been mentioned on SB.

Staying at Christopher Columbus Condos, seven mile beach

Will be my 14 year old son and I diving.

Will be renting BC's and tanks, bringing everything else.

I am assuming boat dives. Biggest concern is fishy, cool dives

Will be renting a car though not sure about driving on left side of road. Ha! guess I will see how it goes.

A quick search showed Ghost mountain, kittiwake, devils grotto ironshore gardens, kathleens reef and peters reef as fun sites though I guess different operators go to different sites (still somewhat of a newbie)

Staying where you are you have lots of options. You can find an op that will pick you up on your beach for boat dives. You are also a short drive to West Bay Dock where some ops depart. You are also a short drive to Lighthouse Pt and Turtle Reef for shore diving. I think you and your son would love shore diving at Turtle Reef.

Unless planning on diving with the same op your entire stay, consider renting bcds from home or from an op on GCM that will let you have them for your stay that you can use elsewhere. You don't went to spend time each day renting and re-renting equipment.

Driving on the left takes some practice. I find it easier renting a car with a steering wheel on the right. Car rentals on GCM are one of the more reasonably priced things on the island and would recommend.

As new divers I would not spend too much time planning on any specific sites, especially those available by boat. You will likely enjoy them all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom