Which Retractble Compass?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have this XS Scuba retractable compass. Works well enough and no issues with it.

Retractable SuperTilt Compass - Dive Right in Scuba

I am going to order this compass to use for our training program but I never had it in my hands before. Is it easy to read the numbers from the side windows without straining to see them? Any "negatives" about reading it or using it or its speed or tilt capability?

I need high accuracy in my U/W navigation and thus the compass on retractor or on slate with retractor are most accurate type for me.

I can't imagine what kind of accuracy needs you really have, but the Suunto Sk-7 you state you are using is not giving you "high" accuracy...its design gives "adequate" to "good" accuracy but most definitely not "high" accuracy. For instance, you cannot adjust for declination so in your high accuracy need you must be adding/subtracting local declination from your bearing. Are you swimming into enemy territory to plant explosives on the underside of a ship's hull or some other facility in the middle of the night? How do you define your "high" accuracy need? and why do you think the Suunto SK series compass is the tool for high accuracy needs?

-Z

Sorry, but I have to ask...why do you want a retractor?

I can't imagine what kind of accuracy needs you really have, but the Suunto Sk-7 you state you are using is not giving you "high" accuracy...its design gives "adequate" to "good" accuracy but most definitely not "high" accuracy. For instance, you cannot adjust for declination so in your high accuracy need you must be adding/subtracting local declination from your bearing. Are you swimming into enemy territory to plant explosives on the underside of a ship's hull or some other facility in the middle of the night? How do you define your "high" accuracy need? and why do you think the Suunto SK series compass is the tool for high accuracy needs?

-Z

Navigation for recreational diving in short distances doesn't require worrying about declination corrections.

I don't think that I said specifically that the Suunto Sk-7 compass is the most accurate compass, in fact, I said that "compass on retractor or on slate with retractor are most accurate type for me" with nothing to do with the brand of the compass. It is far easier for me to take a compass reading and get accurate results with it when the compass is on a slate since it will be properly aligned with my body axis than any other type of compass setup. Compass on a retractor is the next best compass configuration to be easy to use and more accurate to read. No mention of brand.

I happen to own MAN Suunto Sk-7 compasses and have used them exclusively since the 80's without any noticeably high rate of failure or any failure. I may have had a compass go bad in all of these years due to improper care, but not in noticeable number of incidents.

I do underwater surveys, inspections and various other tasks where accuracy is needed especially in almost zero visibility and hence I like to use the best compass configuration that will be the best chances of success. Compass on wrist isn't very convenient or accurate for my use. Some sort of a compass set up on a retractor is most convenient, easiest to read accurately and stays out of the way when not in use.

I have started to use the compass on my Vyper Air dive computer recently and I am starting to like it but it is still not as convenient as the standard SK-7 compass on slate/retractor.

I have been using this one for the past ten years, hundreds of dives and it may just start to be wearing out. It tends to catch or get stuck occasionally requiring a little shaking. Otherwise can't be beat for the price and good service all this time. I am one of those divers who carry a compass and use it on every dive. Clips on a d ring on the bottom left of my BC, right where I want to and easy to use.

Innovative Retractable Compass

This is the one I've been using for years and I really like it. So much so, I buy extras for my students to use on their OW classes.

Just another reason to buy a Petrel/Perdix.

Perhaps it's my technique but I don't find the digital compass very easy to use, it's hard for me to actually have it pointing in the direction I'm going. If anyone has any pointers, pun unintended, I'd be happy to hear them.

I wear an SK7 atop my right hand, ergonomically it's perfect. I've never had any issues with my SK7s, I own three and dive a lot. Luck of the draw I guess.

Sorry, but I have to ask...why do you want a retractor?
I love the retractable ones. I have my Perdix on my right wrist, since I only need to check my course every few minutes I like I can pull it out check the course and then let snap back to being out of the way. i also don't like the position you have to keep your arm in to use the wrist mounted ones, which is why I don't use the one on my DC that much.

Sounds lame.:) Maybe I'm not reading correctly.

I love the retractable ones. I have my Perdix on my right wrist, since I only need to check my course every few minutes I like I can pull it out check the course and then let snap back to being out of the way. i also don't like the position you have to keep your arm in to use the wrist mounted ones, which is why I don't use the one on my DC that much.

Atop right hand solves that problem., no need to change swimming position at all and all info is there in one place at a glance without having to unclasp hands. For me it's near perfect, just wish the SK-7 was colour as in low viz I find it hard to see with my aging eyes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom