Liveaboard Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went to Komodo for my first liveaboard....Scubaboard did not disappoint when they urged me to go. (Thank you, guys!)

I did a 4 day because I wasn't sure how I'd do diving 7 straight days. Like you, I was a bit hesitant because of my experience level. I had about 44 dives when I went to Komodo at the time. I was really comfortable diving there because of the great DM but also because I was really comfortable with my buoyancy and had already dived with some fierce currents and surge while diving Cats and Bats in Costa Rica from about dives 25-33. My home diving is also cold water (45-55F) with crappy viz.

We did a more budget option but I knew I wanted private heads and rooms with AC. We were on the Mastro Aldo through Komodo Dive Center. They were good. Just make sure you don't get the room in the hull of the catamaran. It's fumey in there and you'll want to sleep on deck instead. The other rooms are all fine. It was $850 for 4 days....can't beat that. Is it the best boat to do Komodo with? Probably not, but our DM was SO good and experienced. He made the trip - good at reading currents, knowledge of the dive sites and areas, etc. We had 1 DM to 4 divers.

I would reach out to some shops and chat about it.

After that, I am hooked on LOBs and I did 2 more in back to back months - Sept, Oct, Nov. :) Batu Bolong in Komodo is my favorite dive site. The mantas that we saw are amazing. The Shotgun/Cauldron lives up to its name - WOWZAS on that current!

Let us know what you decide and what happens!

HI, I can recommend booking with Diviac. Ive used them a couple of times and they are very helpful. They also show the boats with special deals etc. I've just booked Indo Siren, have dived from that LOB before, its beautiful. Komodo currents can be crazy, so you should be aware of that before and understand safety procedures. Combine that with Bali diving and you will have a great time. Have also dived with Scuba Junkie in Sipadan and they are a v professional team, so also worthwhile to look at!

... After that, I am hooked on LOBs and I did 2 more in back to back months - Sept, Oct, Nov. :) Batu Bolong in Komodo is my favorite dive site. The mantas that we saw are amazing. The Shotgun/Cauldron lives up to its name - WOWZAS on that current!

Let us know what you decide and what happens!

Thanks for the update. I was curious, where did you see mantas @BATU Bolong? Did you dive at slack tide or a rising tide?

I'm going to assume that Cali doesn't want to give out the cruise director's personal information, but I emailed them with some questions before I booked and they were fairly prompt with their responses.
bookings@samambaia-liveaboard.com

They are going to be at DEMA this year so I'll be able to speak with them there. I have emailed them twice and got very quick responses as well.

They are going to be at DEMA this year so I'll be able to speak with them there. I have emailed them twice and got very quick responses as well.

Great! I'll be interested to hear what you learn from speaking with them. Not many reviews out yet on the young boat, but I'm pretty excited about my trip on it next March.

Sorry, I was not clear! I was referring to the mantas I saw in Komodo, not specifically to Batu Bolong.
If you go around Oct-Dec, they would be hanging the shallow reef around Taka (Karang) Makassar.

Thanks for the update. I was curious, where did you see mantas @BATU Bolong? Did you dive at slack tide or a rising tide?

Sorry, I was not clear! I was referring to the mantas I saw in Komodo, not specifically to Batu Bolong.

I misunderstood the OP - I wanted to make sure that I understood about the OP's original post about Batu Bolong.

If you go around Oct-Dec, they would be hanging the shallow reef around Taka (Karang) Makassar.

After diving in the region over the last 6 years, I was surprised to read the OP comment and I wanted clarification.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom