North Carolina diver found underwater, retrieved by Coast Guard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Missing diver found, medevaced from boat to EMS - WWAY TV3
WRIGHTSVILLE BEACH, NC (WWAY) — The U.S. Coast Guard medevaced the diver who was reported missing 36 miles southeast of Masonboro Inlet.

According to the USCG, the call came in around noon from a marine VHF from the vessel Sniper, reporting that a diver had gone down around 10:50 a.m. with about 40 minutes worth of oxygen and had failed to come back up.

The USCG says a MH 60 Jayhawk from Elizabeth City responded to search by air, while a 45 foot response crew from Wrightsville Beach also set out to search.

The Coast Guard says the person who made the initial call dove into the water, found the diver, and managed to bring that person on board the vessel.

Around 1:30 p.m., the Coast Guard helicopter took the diver to an air facility in Southport, where awaiting EMS then took the diver to Dosher Memorial Hospital.

A sunken freighter named Normannia is a dive site located 35 miles southeast of Masonboro, but no word yet if that’s where they were diving.

No word yet on the diver’s condition.

There are several sites off in that direction. Local reports are that he was spear fishing on the Sniper.

Steve, I thought based on the news report that the boat he was on was the Sniper, and the site he was on was the Normannia.

Steve, I thought based on the news report that the boat he was on was the Sniper, and the site he was on was the Normannia.

Thanks. You are right it was the Sniper. Normania was a suggestion in the reports I saw but the location was not confirmed.

He was young and experienced in both free diving and scuba spearfishing. Well young by my standards.

Apparently the USCG relieved the captain of his duties on site

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom