50+ year old divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, I am and wanted to see how many more of us are out there.
Where do you live?
Where do you dive?
Favorite dive shop?
Current certification?
hi
I'm 55 , I live in Poland
now : IANTD Full Cave , first certificate in 1978
I dive all the year: Sea , lakes , caves...
I have no favourite dive shop

There used to be a member of SB that was from Poland. She was cave certified. Hasn't posted in years. Good friend. I see her on FB most days.

61 years old

The wife and I were certified 1977. Still my only dive buddy. Equipment then was a tank with metal band, no spg, j valve with a rod to pull when breathing got hard, a horse collar vest with oral inflators, and the navy tables. I know that was the "good old days", but diving is MUCH safer now.

In the old days I dived lakes, quarries, sinkholes, oil rigs, Caribbean, West coast beaches, anywhere wet. Now we mostly dive Cozumel (home away from home) but occasionally go to Bonaire or Little Cayman. About 50-60 dives a year.

Instructor certified but haven't taught a class in 30 years. I wouldn't want me for an instructor!

My advice? Marry your dive buddy.

I got my OW at Lake Eufala Oklahoma back in 1976, then OWSI in Jacksonville Fla 1979.
Just getting back into it again after a 30 plus year absence.
Mostly lakes springs and quarries

Last edited:
70 next Month
We live in Los Angeles, CA USA
Warm water diving only because my buddy -and husband (71) is severely allergic to neoprene.
Indonesia, Philippines, PNG, Solomons
Favorite diving is a toss up between Ambon and Bali - but loved Lembeh, Raja Ampat and Milne Bay
Padi Advanced Underwater cert

Having climbed, dove and biked with older people - up to 80- I can say that fitness, health and mindset are the only limiting factors to sport and exercise with age. We have control over our fitness and mindset.
Also, in 2017, 50 is the new 30!! :wink:

Both 56 (but she got there first). Started diving 4 years ago, but wanted to 44 years ago (does that count?). Live in Colorado, but she will only dive here when forced to, so we go to Bonaire or Cozumel. Hope to hit some other locales as well. Rescue Diver for me. A broken back has delayed her taking Rescue, but diving has been great therapy and her doc encourages it!

Back
Top Bottom