reducing trimix costs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just a question... How much are you spending to go on the trip? IE... How much would the savings of He be relative to the cost of the entire trip?

How much are you willing to spend to ensure you have one of those "Whoa, man that was AWESOME!!" kinda dives??

Or rather... how much is it worth to _NOT_ have a "bad dive" or in worst case, an expensive flight home...

Often I spend a lot of money going to wherever I want to dive. I usually have specific goals when I get there. Saving the cost of 10min on helium is not one of my priorities if I look at the big picture. I want good experiences, and more often than not, those come when I don't stretch my limits. (One thing is training, another is _diving_)

Do the math... you might not think the cost of the Helium is that important that it is worth ruining a dive over.

Just a question... How much are you spending to go on the trip? IE... How much would the savings of He be relative to the cost of the entire trip?

How much are you willing to spend to ensure you have one of those "Whoa, man that was AWESOME!!" kinda dives??

Or rather... how much is it worth to _NOT_ have a "bad dive" or in worst case, an expensive flight home...

Often I spend a lot of money going to wherever I want to dive. I usually have specific goals when I get there. Saving the cost of 10min on helium is not one of my priorities if I look at the big picture. I want good experiences, and more often than not, those come when I don't stretch my limits. (One thing is training, another is _diving_)

Do the math... you might not think the cost of the Helium is that important that it is worth ruining a dive over.
HI imla on reflection it was not a good idea - enough more experienced divers have posted to make me reconsider so Ive been traning for the dive and will make those calls depending on how I progress

I agree totally, where the dive matters spend what you need to, so you totally enjoy the dive. I dived Repulse and Prince of Wales on Trimix, totally worth it and a never again dive. Truk I do on air and have dived it 5 times and will go again.

Where a dive like Bikini is a once of a lifetime dive (at say $12,000 AUD) spend what you need to and get the enjoyment out of it.

I still say it's not a huge deal. If you're going to use a deep stage with your bottom mix, understanding that there is no penetration and that if something happens to your deep stage you need to get more shallow quickly, then I don't see a big problem. You can get from 200ft to 70ft pretty quickly without worrying about it, and you said you're going to have a deeper mix than a 50% deco gas.

If you want to be serious about these dives, then yes, you should have some doubles or a rebreather. But if you're doing a one-off vacation dive, I wouldn't over think it.

Hi Lermontov, I think some of the stuff that Gareth Lock has been posted might be interesting in this discussion. Don't get scared away by the title... I'm not referring that you are incompetent or unaware... The point Gareth is making is that we all are at a certain stage and need to become aware of this.

Maybe this is your moment? In any case good reading.

Incompetent and Unaware: We Don’t Know What We Don’t Know - ScubaBoard

Hi Lermontov, I think some of the stuff that Gareth Lock has been posted might be interesting in this discussion. Don't get scared away by the title... I'm not referring that you are incompetent or unaware... The point Gareth is making is that we all are at a certain stage and need to become aware of this.

Maybe this is your moment? In any case good reading.

Incompetent and Unaware: We Don’t Know What We Don’t Know - ScubaBoard

nosce te ipsum

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom