Backplate and Wing Round Table

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That Mares soft plate at $53 (on LP) and the Hog wing for $149 seems like a really hard-to-beat single tank rig for travel or for not-travel. $200 plus some change for webbing, D-rings, a buckle, and some tank straps and you're totally good to go.

If I didn't already have that Hog wing and a dedicated single tank rig, I would be very tempted to whip out the credit card right now....

I agree, I just pulled the trigger on those exact pieces for a warm water travel rig. Did spend a few dollars more for the all black wing at divers supply. Will add some leftover cam bands, etc. Hard to be for around $200 and likely less than 5 lbs

I think a soft backplate with crotch strap will be more stable than your Cressi BC.

How much weight do you wear ? I recommend using cam band weight pockets for 3 + 3 lbs and anything beyond that in waist/plate pockets.

Piranha is running a killer deal on Hog wings. $149 for the 23 lb wing.
@ronscuba thanks for the tip in the wing. I just ordered one. With shipping, it came to just over $200US (about $265Cdn).

I wear 18 lbs of weight with the Cressi. Admittedly, I am "old & fat", but since I got the Cressi, I have had to add about another 4 lbs (from 14 to 18 total), so I think that it is about 4lbs positively buoyant. That is one of my goals - to get a BC set-up that is at least neutral, and ideally a little negative while still being small enough to pack in my carry-on for a trip.

You should get a steel plate. They're not much heavier in baggage than lots of feature-laden jacket BCs and the extra ballast will make your diving MUCH more enjoyable. If you're using 18 lbs with a floaty jacket BC, you might be able to cut it to 8lbs or less with a steel plate, webbing harness, and wing. That's a huge difference in diving comfort. The weight distribution is much better too, especially with an AL tank.

I have frequently traveled with a steel plate and I've never gone over the baggage limit. Then again, I don't have a suitcase that weighs 12 lbs like many people do. I'm not sure why you're set on carrying on your BC, but if you can really get all your dive gear and personal items in carry on, more power to you. I could never do that. I'm usually traveling with at least two regulator sets, often 2 sets of fins, and a canister light.

The reason that the rigid plate is more stable is because it spreads the point of contact between the round tank and your back, which is mostly flat. Imagine a tank on its side on the floor; no stability. Now attach a flat rigid plate to it, and it's coupled to the floor. It's a little like that with your back.

@halocline the reason that I like to travel with things like my BCD Mask & reg set in my carry on is that the more that is in my carry on the less the airline will lose. (I hate it when I go to Nassau & my luggage (and dive gear) goes to Nashville.) Going over the weight limit on luggage isn't really an issue as long as I fly Air Canada or WestJet. As a vet, I can check up to 3 bags each weighing up to 70 pounds.

FWIW, my current BCD is not a jacket BCD. It is a back inflate.

Last edited:
Are there (budget) back plates that let your - w/o the need for a STA - mount a sinless tank correctly with this wing from DRIS that I bought used?
DRIS Dive Gear 28lb Trianta Wing | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL - Dive Right in Scuba
I will also ask DRIS directly, but I have a little bit of time and don't mind do cobble a system together from parts from various manufacturers (used or new on sale... and if need be new...). Step 1, understanding what fits together and what will not - with this wing and single tank....
hey!
why not a Dolphin Tech JT40 system from IsI?? they kick ass in price and are a knock-off of Halcyon!! really nice system that is affordable AND modular!!

Most people put trim weight pockets on either side of the tank on one of the tank straps to hold weight. Either tank strap, just depending on which gives you better trim.

Yes, a steel plate is better if you need more negative buoyancy. Steel plates are usually 5 - 6 pounds. Aluminum ones run 1.5 - 2. The whole rig will be slightly more negative than just the back plate. So, roughly 2 or 6 # negative.

And yes, integrated BCDs tend to be neutral or a little positive.
if traveling on smaller/even prop planes anywhere in the world, lbs matter, anschluss a Kydex/polymer plate can suffice in most cases but save you precious pounds in a jam in exotic travel settings... but lose little or no functionality! availability within your budget may too play a role... in selling a i've Rite Nomad EXP* which is a very modular and managrleable sidemount BC( allowing you to theoretically dive with two tanks (greatly increasing your breathing gas <extending bottom time> wherever your travel may take you

@halocline Going over the weight limit on luggage isn't really an issue as long as I fly Air Canada or WestJet. As a vet, I can check up to 3 bags each weighing up to 70 pounds.

FWIW, my current BCD is not a jacket BCD. It is a back inflate.

With your high weighting needs, and the fact that you don't have concerns about baggage weight, you will definitely be happier with the steel backplate. This is one of the few dive gear choices that really does make a big difference, like a well-fitting wetsuit.

in selling a i've Rite Nomad EXP* which is a very modular and managrleable sidemount BC( allowing you to theoretically dive with two tanks (greatly increasing your breathing gas <extending bottom time> wherever your travel may take you

Oh for crying out loud, this is a thread about a single tank recreational diver. You want to sell him a side mount rig so he can "extend bottom time"....:shakehead:

With your high weighting needs, and the fact that you don't have concerns about baggage weight, you will definitely be happier with the steel backplate. This is one of the few dive gear choices that really does make a big difference, like a well-fitting wetsuit.
This might sound like a stupid question or that I am being confrontational, but here it goes. What advantage would a stainless steel plate have over an aluminum plate? Yes I know that I will need to add less weight with a stainless steel plate but aren't we simply trading weight in the form of lead for weight in the form of stainless steel? I don't see any value added between a 6 lb stainless steel plate and 8 lbs of lead over a 2lb aluminum plate and 12 lbs of lead (hypothetically).

I plan on picking up a Hog aluminum plate and harness today that I am getting a VERY good deal on ($80 Canadian or about $60 US)

This might sound like a stupid question or that I am being confrontational, but here it goes. What advantage would a stainless steel plate have over an aluminum plate?

It spreads the weight evenly over your lungs and puts it next to the aircell. Arguably it's the most optimal weight placement you can get. OTOH it's weight you can't ditch -- you win some you lose some.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom