DUI CF200X compressed neoprene...new zip that leaks.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjgiddings

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After having this zipper replaced by a dive shop - I went on a few dives here in Puget Sound. Kept getting leaks, of which I thought were all at my neck seal. No. Learned the dive shop in Kent is now out of business. Meh. These shops are folding in amazing speed here the last few years.

After being beyond frustrated I finally gave it a pressure test in my bathtub ( soapy spray bottle, scuba tank, inflator hose, and a coffee can holding pressure as it was lodged in the neck seal.) and these bubbly leaks were all along the new zipper seam where it meets the neoprene of the suit. From what I can tell - the metal teeth and their seal are fine.

Fast forward a week, and I try to apply aqua seal to every leak I can find.

Go diving yesterday - and I'm still leaking like, well, like I'm diving a wetsuit. It was 95 in Seattle and that's uncommonly hot...children crying, grown men mumbling and stuttering like idiots, old people start fainting. So the leaky suit was sort of mixed blessing. Yes, I got cool. But extremely frustrated.

I'm now at the point where I'm sending the suit down to Diving Unlimited Intl in San Diego - their website makes this practically seamless, create an account, type in the details about the suit, and voila- I have service order no. now on file. Sending this from Seattle to San Diego is about $30.00 via UPS Ground of which DUI will perform their own version of a comprehensive leak check - and patch up to 6 leak points. (This is a kind of cool premium service they offer w/ a decent $25 discount if I get a c card on file that approves the first go-round, and no other disasterous problems are found, etc.)

My 20/20 perspective is - yes- it pays to have this done professionally upfront. Drysuit zippers are those oddball NASA Apollo era derived items that are like magic. They work great! But if they lose one little tooth- it's done. Gotta replace the entire bloody thing. Cha ching.

Overall I'm happy w/ the suit, the durability, the toughness. But this leaky nonsense has gotten old.

Anyways...rant over. If you've been through this, I would like to know at what point/ how many dives before you started having zipper issues.

Huzzah

Just to understand, you sent the suit to DUI to fix the leaky zipper and you received it back and it is all dry now? How much did DUI charge in total to fix the suit (without shipping)?

BTW, the DUI CF200X drysuit is made from "crushed neoprene" not "compressed neoprene." :)

I wouldn't be so fast of singing praises for DUI service.....

My suit went in to DUI for a nearly $1k retro-fit (Zip Seals, new Zipper, and a crotch pad), with specific attention called out to the feet for leaks. Got it back in April/May, and finally got out for some dives this past weekend. Completely soaked feet (everything else dry)! Two days of this, and luckily I had extra socks with me. Got home, and turned it inside-out to dry. Looking at the shin/foot, I can see that the loops of the stitching are protruding through the old/original sealant. Call DUI to express my displeasure, and they basically tell me that it must be my neck seal..... they said my required pre-check ($$$) showed a crotch leak, and the post check says it is fine.... really????

Oh, but if I want to send it back (so more shipping charges), they would go over it again. Oh, and I get to be without my suit for the time when we dive here... I wonder if I have to give them CC information again or if they will also charge me for the return shipping...

Not a happy camper right now!!!

No- my suits on it's way to DUI as I type this. Keeping fingers crossed!

And it appears we are in a good place!

Please keep up posted. I am interested in your DUI's customer service experience as thinking of getting their pricey suits.

DUI did a pretty complete overhaul on one of my suits, a CF200, which I bought used several years ago. Converted it to socks for rock boots, shortened the legs, added zip seals at neck and wrists, replaced the zipper, and repaired several small leaks I'd been unaware of (I can perspire a lot gearing up in the summer and had attributed it all to condensation). It has been flawless since I got it back. Full disclosure: They have been one sponsor for a project I have been working on as part of a larger team.

I also had Divers Cove replace a zipper on a different (trilam) suit some time back. That, too, has been trouble-free.

Suits been delivered today - Friday, 06/30/2017 at 9:50 A.M. Going in to a weekend 4h of July holiday, I imagine this drysuit will be looked at sometime middle of next week. Stay tuned...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom