Interested getting into hull cleaning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

davedub69

New
Reaction score
Hi, I'm in process of getting my Scuba certification. I was interested in getting into the hull cleaning business. I've been offered a job once I'm certified. What are the basic needed tools of the trade? What are the "optional" tools? Is a hookah setup needed in the very beginning or should I stick with tanks until cash flow supports the expense? Anything to be weerry of about boat hull cleaner company owners? Any other advise is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Dave

It's not a bad gig man but it's no longer legal to perform ANY commercial work on hookah and if on scuba a 3 man team is required. As of Nov 2016 the USCG and OSHA who govern commercial diving laws have made it illegal and ended the grace period to cease or alter illegal commercial dive ops. If you can get away with it good for you but it isn't lawful anymore. Aside from that a five in all scraper and some doodle bug pads and a long screw driver and some Allen wrenches should get you by. Don't forget to use a hood.

...it's no longer legal to perform ANY commercial work on hookah and if on scuba a 3 man team is required. As of Nov 2016 the USCG and OSHA who govern commercial diving laws have made it illegal and ended the grace period to cease or alter illegal commercial dive ops.

Gonna have to ask you to back that one up with a link, chief. 'Cause it sounds like bullsh*t.

SCUBA ops require topside personnel and a standby diver with the working diver. Surface supplied requires a minimum of 4. Topside, tender, standby, diver. But usually its more on the job site.

OK, first off, OSHA regulations only apply to companies who have employees. Most dive services doing in-water hull cleaning of pleasure craft do not have employees. If you don't have employees, you are exempt from OSHA regs. Second, here's a quote from the OSHA website you linked to, describing exactly how hookah use is legal:

1910.425(a)

General. Employers engaged in surface-supplied air diving shall comply with the following requirements, unless otherwise specified.

1910.425(b)(1)

Surface-supplied air diving shall not be conducted at depths deeper than 190 fsw, except that dives with bottom times of 30 minutes or less may be conducted to depths of 220 fsw.

Hookah which can only technically considered surface supplied diving (certainly not by any real commercial diving governing body IMCA, DCBC, ADCI, ETC) still would require a 4 man team at a minimum to be lawful. I understand these regulations as they affect my daily life as a commercial diver. Not hating on the practice. I did it myself for quite some time. It's just damn unsafe.

I had thought if you were scraping off any hull paint - it could not be allowed into Puget Sound waters - so every boat has to be hauled out into a dry dock scenario before the scraping work could begin.

Most of those paints are amazingly toxic - on purpose- you don't want critters growing on your hull - but you don't want toxic flakes/ runoff into the environment.

According to OSHA - you can use a Scamp, though - never seen one - but sounds like a pretty cool underwater James Bond vacuum :
  • A commercial diving operation may be used to clean the undersides of hulls while the ship remains in the water. For example, divers may manually steer a hull cleaning device called a SCAMP, which is comprised of rotating steel brushes and an impeller to vacuum the material removed from the hull.

Back
Top Bottom