Put your money down, make your airline choices....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billt4sf

Contributor
Reaction score
Fayetteville GA, Wash DC, NY, Toronto, SF
# of dives
500 - 999
AirAsia X flight lands after 'shaking like washing machine' - BBC News

Ratings from:
Airline Ratings

Screen Shot 2017-06-25 at 13.40.08.png

Screen Shot 2017-06-25 at 13.38.21.png

Screen Shot 2017-06-25 at 13.41.22.png

Still, in the end, a car crash is more likely than anything I would guess. (Why I don't ride in anything that doesn't have working seatbelts and a cautious driver).

- Bill & Emily

Nepal Air number 1 rating. What does this rating really tell? What is the 2007 for Garuda about?

Nepal Air number 1 rating. What does this rating really tell? What is the 2007 for Garuda about?

Absolutely nothing, which is why I make fun of that website every time it's brought up. The "safety rating" they give is simply the number of boxes they have checked off in blue, some of which have very little to do with safety at all. As for the Garuda accident in 2007:
"the aircraft had been on a domestic flight from Jakarta and overran the runway after landing at Yogyakarta. The aircraft went through the airport's perimeter fence, crossed and road and an embankment, and caught fire as it came to rest in a nearby rice paddy. One of the seven crew members and 20 of the 133 passengers were killed."
Not nearly as bad as their 1997 incident, though:
"The aircraft was on approach to Medan on a flight from Jakarta when it crashed in a mountainous area about 19 miles (30 km) from the airport. Extensive smoke and haze from numerous forest fires caused reduced visibility in the area. All 12 crew members and 222 passengers were killed."

Garuda anno 2017 is not comparable with Garuda 2007. only the name is the same.

What's the evidence for this?

- Bill

Sorry your safety bubble is popped.
Bubbles seem to be popping all over the world. Hang on for a wild ride the next 30 years.
Personally I figure when my times up its up. Hopefully it won't be on an airplane that is flown into a mountain. That's just plain stupid. If it does happen I hope it's after an epic dive trip, not on the way.

It has been 10 years for improvement so your probably hedging your bet pretty well by continuing to fly Garuda.

The World's Top 100 Airlines in 2016
The World's Top 100 Airlines - 2016

2015 Rating
1 Emirates 5
2 Qatar Airways 1
3 Singapore Airlines 2
4 Cathay Pacific 3
5 ANAs 7
6 Etihad Airways 6
7 Turkish Airlines 4
8 EVA Air 9
9 Qantas Airways 10