Travel Souvenirs/Mementos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As of 2 years ago my priority has been to send a postcard to our granddaughter (the first one was just before she was born from Hell, Grand Cayman) on each trip we take. One day she'll be able to read whatever we wrote on the cards, get a picture of something the area is known for, and a foreign stamp. A card from Playa del Carmen took about 1 1/2 months to get delivered and the the last one, mailed from Dominican Republic the first week of May still hasn't arrived!

From a diving aspect, if there is a t-shirt that I like (I'm pretty picky) from the dive op, I'll probably get one. If they have bumper stickers, I'll get one of those also.

The only other souvenirs we get are things that may fit in our Hall Hut, which is our place to go and relax and dream about our next getaway. Basically we get knick knacks and things we can hang on the ceiling. The picture below is from over a year ago and has since filled up with more stuff.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_ad6c.jpg

I take booze and I bring back golf shirts. The wife collects cards or other trinkets, but for me its always a shirt, and almost always a golf shirt.

I adore this topic, @drrich2!

I am a pack rat & always get a few things. I get a post card which I send to my mom as well as something small for her (kitschy like a mug or beautiful like a small sculpture). For myself, I get a t-shirt (preferably from the dive shop) to wear on future trips & at least one other thing which usually falls into the category of a magnet, handmade item, local art, local food stuff (e.g., liquor, hot sauce, spice, etc.) or coffee mug. I also keep some extra coins which at some point I will stop being lazy & display in a shadow box or vase.

However, now that I read the above posts, I think I may have to add "traditional pieces of clothing to mix & match with my everyday clothes". Thanks for the idea, @MelasLithos!

@Wingy, I love that you saved the iguana! I know something like this is bound to happen to me. I actually have avoided a few places because I know they will crush my soul when I see how badly the animals are treated there.

My wife and I get a Christmas tree ornament from every place we visit and we give hand blown glass ornaments from the Wimberly Glass Works Premier Custom Blown Glass Lighting Designers — Wimberley Glassworks as gifts each year. There are quite a few people that have trees full of glass ornaments and add a different one each year. That's how we keep from cluttering our house and theirs. The clutter comes out once a year and then goes back into the attic.

Alright, this is a great and fun thread to read!

First things I look for abroad are exotic food or drinks to carry for my office colleagues but it's more like a fun game competing on who's going to bring back the most disguting stuff, I've always managed to win that contest. (I have them worry during my holidays, imagining what I may bring back, then it's a kind of challenge for them to eat or drink my foreign collection of edibles, everybody has a challenge score to meet according to the food item "disgustness". .).

Some of the best stuff I found in my trips and brought back were :
- a small cobra soaking in a bottle of alcohol I bought in Vietnam, it took 10 years to empty this bottle that eventually became a mascot.
- sugar coated dried squid from Borneo : tastes exactly what it looks like, flat dry squid and sugar.
- the all time favorite Durian flavored candies from Malaysia : butterscotch that tastes like old cheese.
- Kimchi (fermented cabbage) stuffed chocolate candies from Seoul : feels like somebody farts in your mouth when you eat them, Scored very high in disgustness.
- Kava root powder from Fiji and Vanuatu, I didin't realize it was considered like drugs, lucky french customs didn't care much about my dive bag when I went through. We performed a kava drinking ritual at the office, it took some time for my colleagues to stop staring the floor and go back home.

Then I also look for small fun stuff "with a twist" as a stupid prize for giving away at office inhouse contests, I'm trying to spend not more 5-10USD each,. It ranges widely from local art to completely useless or weird items. Just an idea :
- a raja turban from India (the winner had to go and take the metro with his/her turban, actually was a she)
- Thai bpxing shorts (the winner had to show of photo of him in full outfit)
- A silver hairpin from a Laotian craft market,
- a rattan ball of indonesian Sepak Takraw game for an office contest that nobody won.
- a nose flute from North Thailand, that someome with a more prominent nose broke.
- Woven penis sheathes from West Papua,
- The most legendary item I brought back : walking along the river in Kuching/Borneo at night time, a bloke called me in Bahasa melayu showed a box full of ...ahem.. weird stuff... there were kind of whitish and small rings that looked slightly extendable I asked him what they were. I understood itwas done from kambing (goat), he showed me like cutting his eye lids. So that was goat eyelids, when it came to their use, he mimicked putting the goat eyelid around his forearmand then gloriously stretched it hard up. So one of my colleague got an authentic local cockring made from goat eyelids.

Thirdly my flat looks like the Museum of ethnology where anything can either rest on the floor or hangs on the walls : shields from Borneo, war clubs from Fiji, new caledonia or Vanuatu, music instruments from Cambodia, masks or wooden storyboards from PNG, Vanuatu, Curaçao, Borneo, potteries from Borneo or Mozambique, sculptures from Bali, East Africa, South Pacific, a large tiki from Tonga and a fern statue from Vanuatu, painted and sculpted boards of a wooden house from Sulawesi, ikats from Lombok, woven cushions from Thailand, small stuff from Burma, Laos or Indonesia, and lots of opium pipes which I started a collection a while ago...
I remember once in Bangkok staying at The Oriental (just one night, they had an incredible discount, it was the opportunity to stay in that famous 6* heritage hotel) When you know the Oriental, everything is very much old world , I went to the concierge and asked him if and where I could find opium pipes to purchase in Bangkok... I had never seen someone blemish and panic like that....

Tshirts? Yes, only from the dive centres that deserve it AND that are nice looking.
Te best I foundin my opinion is Aquamarine Santo Luganville with a plan of the Coolidge in the back and an embroided logo on the front..
There is one shirt I forgot somewhere and I miss : a dive resort called "Fim Do Mundo" in Mozambique that isn't operating anymore. Dark green Tshirt only written "Fim do Mundo" Best name for a dive centre, a resort, a bar, a restaurant or anything that caters a service.

Last edited:
My souvenir is some kind of turtle knickknack. I have collected one from everywhere we have traveled to. They are displayed in a large shadow box coffee table in our living room. I try to find one that's handmade if possible.
My husband loves to take pictures. Those are displayed in a digital frame with a motion senor. Every time we walk into the room, we're greeted with memories of friends and experiences.
We love these daily reminders of us of all our adventures!

We've almost given up trying to get stuff home from our travels without it breaking. We had the idea that we could collect handicrafts, but after a broken ceramic plate, glass bowl, musical instrument, etc., I think we're done trying to stuff even well-wrapped handicrafts in our bags. We have had more success with food and liquor items: a bottle of whatever the local firewater or liqueur is, cat-poop coffee from Indonesia, artisanal olive oil--I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting. Clothing always seems like a good idea at the time, but then when I get home I think "What was I thinking?"--like that Ethiopian bathrobe I have never worn.

Hombre (remember I am a Kalifornian)

Check out my post # 47 on the preceding page for packaging ideas--worked great for us so many years and so many trips
Perhaps you can modify it to work for you'al

SAM

Alright, this is a great and fun thread to read!

First things I look for abroad are exotic food or drinks to carry for my office colleagues but it's more like a fun game competing on who's going to bring back the most disguting stuff, I've always managed to win that contest. (I have them worry during my holidays, imagining what I may bring back, then it's a kind of challenge for them to eat or drink my foreign collection of edibles, everybody has a challenge score to meet according to the food item "disgustness". .).

Some of the best stuff I found in my trips and brought back were :
- a small cobra soaking in a bottle of alcohol I bought in Vietnam, it took 10 years to empty this bottle that eventually became a mascot.
- sugar coated dried squid from Borneo : tastes exactly what it looks like, flat dry squid and sugar.
- the all time favorite Durian flavored candies from Malaysia : butterscotch that tastes like old cheese.
- Kimchi (fermented cabbage) stuffed chocolate candies from Seoul : feels like somebody farts in your mouth when you eat them, Scored very high in disgustness.
- Kava root powder from Fiji and Vanuatu, I didin't realize it was considered like drugs, lucky french customs didn't care much about my dive bag when I went through. We performed a kava drinking ritual at the office, it took some time for my colleagues to stop staring the floor and go back home.

Then I also look for small fun stuff "with a twist" as a stupid prize for giving away at office inhouse contests, I'm trying to spend not more 5-10USD each,. It ranges widely from local art to completely useless or weird items. Just an idea :
- a raja turban from India (the winner had to go and take the metro with his/her turban, actually was a she)
- Thai bpxing shorts (the winner had to show of photo of him in full outfit)
- A silver hairpin from a Laotian craft market,
- a rattan ball of indonesian Sepak Takraw game for an office contest that nobody won.
- a nose flute from North Thailand, that someome with a more prominent nose broke.
- Woven penis sheathes from West Papua,
- The most legendary item I brought back : walking along the river in Kuching/Borneo at night time, a bloke called me in Bahasa melayu showed a box full of ...ahem.. weird stuff... there were kind of whitish and small rings that looked slightly extendable I asked him what they were. I understood itwas done from kambing (goat), he showed me like cutting his eye lids. So that was goat eyelids, when it came to their use, he mimicked putting the goat eyelid around his forearmand then gloriously stretched it hard up. So one of my colleague got an authentic local cockring made from goat eyelids.

Thirdly my flat looks like the Museum of ethnology where anything can either rest on the floor or hangs on the walls : shields from Borneo, war clubs from Fiji, new caledonia or Vanuatu, music instruments from Cambodia, masks or wooden storyboards from PNG, Vanuatu, Curaçao, Borneo, potteries from Borneo or Mozambique, sculptures from Bali, East Africa, South Pacific, a large tiki from Tonga and a fern statue from Vanuatu, painted and sculpted boards of a wooden house from Sulawesi, ikats from Lombok, woven cushions from Thailand, small stuff from Burma, Laos or Indonesia, and lots of opium pipes which I started a collection a while ago...
I remember once in Bangkok staying at The Oriental (just one night, they had an incredible discount, it was the opportunity to stay in that famous 6* heritage hotel) When you know the Oriental, everything is very much old world , I went to the concierge and asked him if and where I could find opium pipes to purchase in Bangkok... I had never seen someone blemish and panic like that....

Tshirts? Yes, only from the dive centres that deserve it AND that are nice looking.
Te best I foundin my opinion is Aquamarine Santo Luganville with a plan of the Coolidge in the back and an embroided logo on the front..
There is one shirt I forgot somewhere and I miss : a dive resort called "Fim Do Mundo" in Mozambique that isn't operating anymore. Dark green Tshirt only written "Fim do Mundo" Best name for a dive centre, a resort, a bar, a restaurant or anything that caters a service.

You sound like you'd be fun to hang out and dive with, but I'd hate to be your office colleague!

Back
Top Bottom