Got my OW certificate!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

+1 on doing Nitrox. If you do, I'd advise to check with the shop where you plan to do the in-person stuff before you sign up for the online course.

Most shops will charge you a fee for the in-person part, even if you already paid and did the online "e-learning" class. The times that I have looked into it, the total cost, when done that way, always works out to be more than if I just did the whole course at the shop and skipped the e-learning option.

Some people would rather pay the extra because the online course suits them better, for whatever reason. That's fine. I just think it's prudent to identify the whole path before you start down any part of it.

congratulations...now just dive dive dive...

Thanks for the info Gareth, I had a brief look at BSAC while I was in Egypt and didn't look hard enough because I had no idea there was like a membership fee.
Will definitely be looking to find somewhere that dives regularly and see about joining in
Before moving to Scotland I was a member of Cirencester Dolphins SAC, worth a look depending on which side of Swindon you live. I used to travel there from Gloucester.

As PADI OW you can dive on you current qualification and even continue you training with PADI. Or you could do the BSAC Sports Diver course which includes Nitrox, Surface Marker Buoy, Delayed Surface Marker Buoy, Controled Buoyant Lift (from 10m), dive management and decompression diving. These are not additional courses, but part of the course.

+1 on doing Nitrox. If you do, I'd advise to check with the shop where you plan to do the in-person stuff before you sign up for the online course.

Most shops will charge you a fee for the in-person part, even if you already paid and did the online "e-learning" class. The times that I have looked into it, the total cost, when done that way, always works out to be more than if I just did the whole course at the shop and skipped the e-learning option.

Some people would rather pay the extra because the online course suits them better, for whatever reason. That's fine. I just think it's prudent to identify the whole path before you start down any part of it.

Good idea, my wife took PADI EAN online and paid no additional fee at our LDS. She affiliated with the LDS during her registration. I believe many dive shops do it this way. Devil is in the individual details.

Before moving to Scotland I was a member of Cirencester Dolphins SAC, worth a look depending on which side of Swindon you live. I used to travel there from Gloucester.

As PADI OW you can dive on you current qualification and even continue you training with PADI. Or you could do the BSAC Sports Diver course which includes Nitrox, Surface Marker Buoy, Delayed Surface Marker Buoy, Controled Buoyant Lift (from 10m), dive management and decompression diving. These are not additional courses, but part of the course.
BSAC Sports Diver sounds great

Just to add - the syllabus for the differing BSAC diving grades are here

Diver Grade Training Courses - British Sub-Aqua Club

Running parallel are SDC (Skill Development Courses). These are both diving skills and parallel or related skills, diver coxswain, compressor operator, Oxygen administration etc.

There are also a set of technical courses including open circuit trimix and closed circuit.

Also instructor qualifications.

Back
Top Bottom