A Late Coz Trip Report 5/21 - 5/27

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was scheduled to be in Cozumel from 5/20 to 5/27, but thanks to a sick AA pilot, and a miserably disorganized rerouting effort on AA's part I lost a day.

Diving
I dove with Liquid Blue. This was my first trip with them since the change in ownership some 4 years ago. Steve, Kami, Kevin and Javier did a great job. I wouldn't hesitate to book with them again. I'm a big fan of the steel 120 tanks. My bottom times ranged from 70 minutes to just over 90 minutes. Kevin the DM did a great job of letting each diver maximize his bottom time (divers surfaced individually or in pairs as their air or no deco time expired under Kevin's guidance). Additionally Kevin and Javier were quick to address blown or leaky o-rings, securing a loose mouthpiece, and other minor on-board repairs. Liquid Blue handles all of your gear including wetsuits for the duration of the trip, and returns it all rinsed and dry on the morning of your departure.
So, kudos to Liquid Blue.

The visibility was decent, but not as good as I've experienced on most previous trips, no doubt affected by a near gale force thunderstorm one evening. Some of the diving highlights I witnessed included: an underwater marriage proposal, two eagle rays including a large one at Columbia shallows who made several feeding passes blissfully ignoring us, some medium sized free swimming nurse sharks, some much larger nurse sharks resting under ledges, several green morays, one of which had serious issues with Kevin - it charged at him from under a ledge while completely ignoring me, a spotted moray or two, hawksbill turtles on many dives, one massive grouper ~ 5 feet long, two or three splendid toadfish, and a pair of jawfish dancing in and out of their adjacent burrows. All in all a very enjoyable diving experience.

Lodging
This was my first time staying at Hotel Plaza Cozumel. On previous trips when I opted to stay in town I have stayed at Suites Bahia and Casa Mexicana. I chose HPC mostly for price, but also because it offers free breakfast and free parking. The room was basic and clean. The breakfast, typical Mexican and American fare, was cooked to order by a lovely chef and served by a friendly and attentive staff. Not as lavish a spread as Casa Mexicana, but very good with everything a humble diver might need, and service is well under way by 7:00 am. There are 3 parking spots directly in front of the hotel and a gated lot across the street. The lot attendant arrived each morning between 7:00 and 7:20 am. I never had to wait, but if you park in the lot you will not have 24 hr access. HPC is well worth considering if you're looking for affordable downtown lodging. HPC has a rooftop pool with a covered bar area, and some drying racks for gear. Sadly the bar was not manned during my stay. The only downside to the rooms was no balcony, and no refrigerator. However you can request a refrigerator, and if one is available you'll get one. Luckily I got one.

Dining
I visited some of my long time favorites. Best meal of the trip was shrimp on a wire at El Moro. Also very engaing wait staff, and a free shot of Xtabentun. Second best meal was a tie between whole fried fish at La Perlita and snapper from the wood fired oven at Kinta. Other reliable standbys tacos at Los Otates and El Picque, and my go to lunch tacos cochinitas at Casa Denis.

Despite the AA snafu a most enjoyable and much needed dive trip.

I think I was on the same cancelled flight as you. Newark to Charlotte to Coz ? Ended up flying and staying overnight in Miami.

I think I was on the same cancelled flight as you. Newark to Charlotte to Coz ? Ended up flying and staying overnight in Miami.
Yup same flight. They wound up sending me to Dallas on Sat. and on to Coz on Sun. Also just checked my AA miles, and they didn't credit me for the DFW - COZ or the CLT - EWR legs. Nice huh?

Yup same flight. They wound up sending me to Dallas on Sat. and on to Coz on Sun. Also just checked my AA miles, and they didn't credit me for the DFW - COZ or the CLT - EWR legs. Nice huh?
They lost our luggage for a day too. Had to use crappy rental gear the 1st dive day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom