Ocean Signal RescueME PLB1 CHEAP...!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

View attachment 388082

How about using an old see-through camera case, like mine, as shown above. It works up to 30m, so far. The camera case itself is good down to 40m.

Hey DanT, So u had tested & used the sony camera housing without an issue?

I might try that combo for the next time.

The camera housing seems easier to use and maintain. Custom Divers canister is both expensive and sensitive to maintenance.

On the side note, i actually received my plb back with a new Battery installed from Ocean signal at UK within about 2-3 weeks after mailing it over. Sent back expressed shipping from UK.

So kudos to the excellent customer service of Ocean Signal.

But I still have some questions of the actually S & R process should someone need it in foreign countries. There were only some phone invenstigations back in the states.

I think its prudent to provide all foreign contact info with a reputable operator to ur NOAA contact to avoid delay.

Yes. I took it down to 30m in GBR (November, 2016) & Galapagos (December, 2016). The PLB1 stayed dry.

Glad to hear about the battery change service. I hope I won't need one for the next 7 years (knock on wood).

Thanks for the tips on updating NOAA on foreign contact info.

Cheers,
Dan

Just noticed that right now they run a rebate again for the Rescue Me PLB1 ... maybe not as cheap as in the original post from 2016, but from what I can tell around $239 (Amazon) - $50 rebate - presuming the seller is "participating" (whatever that means...)
http://oceansignal.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/OS USA Rebate Form Beacon Savings SUMMER 2017.pdf
EDIT / CORRECTION / WARNING: THIS DEALER IS NOT PART OF THE REBATE. Oceans Signal advised to only buy from a dealer on their list. In the US, there seem a lot of local listing and a few known Internet dealers like West Marine and Landfall Navigation. Caveat: The price is up by $30 & 20 respectively.

Last edited:
Just noticed that right now they run a rebate again for the Rescue Me PLB1 ... maybe not as cheap as in the original post from 2016, but from what I can tell around $239 (Amazon) - $50 rebate - presuming the seller is "participating" (whatever that means...)
http://oceansignal.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/OS USA Rebate Form Beacon Savings SUMMER 2017.pdf
ACR and Ocean Signal both seem to offer $50 rebates a couple of times a year. It seems that this sale ends soon, purchase by July 5, mail rebate request within 30 days, so this would be a great time to get one. I don't leave my house without mine, much less hike, boat, dive, or even work on my farm. Much more dependable than a cell phone, and so small & lightweight to carry! I'd be embarrassed to have to use mine for myself, but it'd be better than laying or floating helpless for days.

Prices can vary on both brands some some retailers charging twice as much as others! Amazon is not often the cheapest for my shopping, but they do indeed offer this one for less than anyone else I can currently find: $239 & free shipping: Amazon.com: Ocean Signal Rescue ME PLB1 - EPI3110: Electronics Well, that supplier claims to have only 3 left, but google can find you another supplier under $250 easily. Be sure to get the rebate request completed and mailed quickly, then watch your mail closely. They hope that you trash the envelop as junk mail of course, so they can keep the $50, as all rebaters do - but you can indeed get your money.

The cheapest dive canister I've found comes from Australia, works well, and weighs a lot less than the well known aluminum canister. Only $108 including shipping! CANISTER for PLB: SCUBA Diver Emergency Locator Beacon/VHF Marine Radio. | eBay Do keep the o-ring moist with silicone grease.

My ACR PLB has 2 years left on it and I am tempted to go with the smaller one next time. I may just get the battery replaced, as that's cheaper than getting a new one - but not a lot cheaper. New electronics would seem more dependable than old.

EDIT / CORRECTION / WARNING: THIS DEALER IS NOT PART OF THE REBATE. Oceans Signal advised to only buy from a dealer on their list. In the US, there seem a lot of local listing and a few known Internet dealers like West Marine and Landfall Navigation. Caveat: The price is up by $30 & 20 respectively.

Just alerting you to the edit and warning in my own pos, the one replied to here.

Here is what Ocean Signals advises:

The PLB1 should be purchased from one of our authorised retailers or distributors listed on our website. You can selct USA from the country drop down list on our stockists page here:http://oceansignal.com/stockists/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom