General questions about video/photo capture during night dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ready4Launch

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This seems silly to ask, but when diving at night with a tray and lights, do you use the tray mounted lights as your main dive light? Or, do you dive with a task specific dive light to for general search, navigation, sighting, which you then go away from when you find a subject you wish to capture and you turn on the lights on your rig? I mean, are you turning your setup's lights on and off, or are you using the camera lights as your dive light, and then carry a smaller light as a backup?

I use a flash light as my main light on a night dive. Turn on my video lights only when recording. Lowers chance of scaring animal life, attracts less blood worms.

I use a flash light as my main light on a night dive. Turn on my video lights only when recording. Lowers chance of scaring animal life, attracts less blood worms.

Ok - that's what I was thinking could be a possibility. So, you do lots of switching. Guess I will have to get another leash to attach the tray to my BC to make sure I don't lose it when one-handing it.

I like using my video light on its lowest setting throughout the dive.
It still throws enough light to search and video, no hotspot to annoy critters and a 160 degree beam makes for a large search area. Let your eyes adjust to the low light and avoid looking at the lights of other divers.

I like using my video light on its lowest setting throughout the dive
I did the same on my one and only night dive with camera a few weeks back. It worked out fine. A lower light setting also reduces the impact of backscatter and saves the battery. I just increased the light when needed. You don't generally need the highest setting.

Obviously it depends on what type of video light you have, but I'm guessing most have different light settings.

Last edited:
Ok - that's what I was thinking could be a possibility. So, you do lots of switching. Guess I will have to get another leash to attach the tray to my BC to make sure I don't lose it when one-handing it.

I use a quick-release coil lanyard and clip it on my left shoulder D-ring; something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Diving-Qui...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=CFH3Z0M8HWM143GR0HF5

although as mentioned above for my night dive I held the camera for the whole time as I was using the video light as a dive light. Great for the end of the dive though when you want both hands free, and for day dives if you want both hands free when not using the camera.

Last edited:
I use the video light mount on top of the camera as the dive light. I shoot stills btw. The beam is wider than I want but I generally use two hands so turning on/ff and stowing a separate light is a pain especially in current. If I left a separate light on and on a lanyard, it will twist and turn and maybe give the impression that I found something, shine in divers eyes, give the impression I am in distress and be a snag hazard. I could turn it on/off but it's one more thing to continuously do. I can turn off the video light if necessary which I do sometimes for bloodworms or other creatures attracted to the light or to use the lights from other divers. Most video lights should be LED now but if incandescent, it will give a yellow spot in the photos.

I have a focus light (essentially not as powerful video light 2k lumens) on top of my camera that I run, as well as a flashlight mounted on the back of my left hand. Most dives here are essentially night dives, so both are on at all times.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom