Slanted and offset valves for 3500 PSI cylinders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2airishuman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've come across a number of 3500 PSI cylinders for sale with the original slanted and offset valves.

Since these cylinders have 7/8" neck threads, replacing the valves is costly enough to make the difference between a worthwhile purchase and one that doesn't make economic sense. Do the slanted (and sometimes also offset) valves pose any practical problems in use?

sherwood offset.jpg

Theoretically, they'd expose the first stage more, so in an overhead environment there'd be a slightly increased change of damaging the reg.

In practice, I have several tanks with these values, and notice zero difference diving with them vs tanks with the "upright" valves. Also as a person with little hands, I actually find my tanks with the offset valves easier to carry.

@wisp would you be diving single cylinders in an overhead?

no issues using them and I actually prefer them for single tank use since it helps to get the first stage away from your head. They are also really easy to carry

The other style I see and wonder about are the slanted but not offset ones like this:

78 manifold.jpg

I know that the manifolds with face-sealed crossbars (rather than o-rings) are to be avoided.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom