Skinsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LanceRiley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ive been diving for quite sometime and somehow shifted to doing triathlons....

Now going back to diving... how is it that nobody ever uses a triathlon suit for tropical diving?
a triathlon suit looks like a short john lycra suit minus the neoprene

i've always hated neoprene. it messes with perfect bouyancy.

or are there any short john skinsuits available for scuba purposes?

I do tropical diving exclusively.

If the water won't hurt it I'd say try it. People dive in the tropics with just about anything from no suit whatsoever, t-shirt-, lycra suits, thin shorties, thick full suits....

Personally I like a full suit mainly because I have seen a lot of jellyfish.

If the water won't hurt it I'd say try it. People dive in the tropics with just about anything from no suit whatsoever, t-shirt-, lycra suits, thin shorties, thick full suits....

Personally I like a full suit mainly because I have seen a lot of jellyfish.

well jellyfish is part of the equation lol

Now going back to diving... how is it that nobody ever uses a triathlon suit for tropical diving?

I've never even touched one, so this is just a guess: Not warm enough at depth?

If you don't need a suit for warmth, then you could just wear board shorts and a rash guard shirt? But, if you want any additional warmth, maybe a triathlon suit crushes down at depth to the point it doesn't give any better warmth than shorts and a rash guard?

I've never even touched one, so this is just a guess: Not warm enough at depth?

If you don't need a suit for warmth, then you could just wear board shorts and a rash guard shirt? But, if you want any additional warmth, maybe a triathlon suit crushes down at depth to the point it doesn't give any better warmth than shorts and a rash guard?

nope triathlon suit is just body hugging lycra.. I ask coz i have a lot lol

i did dived with board shorts. flapping around under water... sometimes tickles my inner thigh... lol I hate that.

You could always go with the redneck romper....

Look at Sharkskin, 4th element thermocline & Lavacore suits. All are lycra with a fleece lining that is supposed to be roughly equal to 2mil wet suit without buoyancy issues. My wife has a Lavacore top she loves. As a bonus you can use them for snorkeling. When my 3/2 wetsuit finally gives out Im going with one of the full suits.

I have a 4th element thermocline suit for warm water holiday diving. It's great on the boat as you don't overheat like you do in neoprene and it also saves from getting sunburn. In the water you do get some physical protection but thermal isn't great.
I'd probably wear a 3mm neoprene shortie over the top of it if the water was in the 70's, especially if I was doing more than a one dive a day.

Look at Sharkskin, 4th element thermocline & Lavacore suits. All are lycra with a fleece lining that is supposed to be roughly equal to 2mil wet suit without buoyancy issues. My wife has a Lavacore top she loves. As a bonus you can use them for snorkeling. When my 3/2 wetsuit finally gives out Im going with one of the full suits.

I did look at lavacore... there are some production issues? wear and tear? Im in the tropics.... it's sun and sun =) no to wetsuits lol
lavacore website is down... 4th element.. will look into it too.. thanks

Back
Top Bottom