According to My Bank, Bonaire Does Not Exist

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use to do travel notifications with my credit cards. The last time I did they said not to bother. Seems they know where I am going as soon as I do. Kind of a scary world we live in now. Big Brother isn't just the government but big corporations.

That depends on the bank. For one of my credit cards, they do not require any travel notifications for any foreign or domestic travel. As for my other credit card...well, I live in New York, and sometimes it rejects transactions when I cross the Hudson River and use my card in New Jersey. Apparently I have to notify them in advance when I plan to use my card on the other side of the Hudson River.

That's what I plan on doing, but I want to be able to use my cards just in case.

Speaking of carrying large amounts of cash...when you stayed at Den Laman, did they have digital safes in the rooms?
Yes- they do. No worries. Also, while I am thinking about it, when you drive to various dive sites for shore diving, leave your truck doors unlocked and windows rolled down. Take nothing of value with you when out shore diving, unless you can keep it on you while diving. I can't remember if we covered the petty crime issues in previous posts? Your new turtle avatar threw me off for a moment :) -- Love it though!

Also, since we are in the Bonaire forum, that big ass Tarpon, that is my Avatar, is a photo that I took on a night dive while diving Bari Reef right in front of Den Laman!

We had that problem when we went to Fiji this year. We forgot to notify the card company so on the way to the airport I call.
The agent on the other end of the line had never heard of Fiji.
Said it's kind of by Australia.
Oh your going to Australia?
No, Fiji.
I don't know where that's at. How far from Hawaii?
About half way, another 5 hours and you're on Fiji. Ever heard of New Zealand?
No. Are you going to Australia or New Zealand?
Round and round we go for about 10 minutes. Just before I chuck the cell phone out the car window, my wife takes over the phone and after another 5 minutes of who's on first. She says yes, we're going to Australia.

Forward about a month, my wife uses the banks online function to notify them we are going to Bonaire. All of 1 minute.

Yes- they do. No worries. Also, while I am thinking about it, when you drive to various dive sites for shore diving, leave your truck doors unlocked and windows rolled down. Take nothing of value with you when out shore diving, unless you can keep it on you while diving. I can't remember if we covered the petty crime issues in previous posts? Your new turtle avatar threw me off for a moment :) -- Love it though!

Yes, I learned about that problem on Curacao and was not surprised to learn that it exists on Bonaire too.

We had that problem when we went to Fiji this year. We forgot to notify the card company so on the way to the airport I call.
The agent on the other end of the line had never heard of Fiji.
Said it's kind of by Australia.
Oh your going to Australia?
No, Fiji.
I don't know where that's at. How far from Hawaii?
About half way, another 5 hours and you're on Fiji. Ever heard of New Zealand?
No. Are you going to Australia or New Zealand?
Round and round we go for about 10 minutes. Just before I chuck the cell phone out the car window, my wife takes over the phone and after another 5 minutes of who's on first. She says yes, we're going to Australia.

Forward about a month, my wife uses the banks online function to notify them we are going to Bonaire. All of 1 minute.

When your wife used the online service, how did she find Bonaire? Was it just Bonaire? Bonaire, Sint Eustatius and Saba? Netherlands Antilles?

Cash? What is this paper stuff you all talking about?

I use this little square plastic thingy that gives me free nights in Starwood properties :)

I've been going to bonaire 2-4 times a year for 15 years. Never had a problem.... until the last trip. When my credit card company froze my account for unusual charges. It's the same card I've had for 10 years and I called them about traveling to bonaire!!!

Cash? What is this paper stuff you all talking about?

I use this little square plastic thingy that gives me free nights in Starwood properties :)
Agreed. Other areas of the Caribbean we use cash (pesos). In Bonaire its the Visa for more travel rewards. :)

I use to do travel notifications with my credit cards. The last time I did they said not to bother. Seems they know where I am going as soon as I do. Kind of a scary world we live in now. Big Brother isn't just the government but big corporations.

Yes, even WalMart knows when I'm in Mexico and makes the closest store "My Store." Google defaults in Spanish.

My credit card company said the same thing but I still have to notify my bank so I can use my ATM card. It will be interesting to see what happens when I finally book a trip to Bonaire. At least now I'll have a clue as to what to tell them. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom