Grand Cayman Trip - Need advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisVan

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Wife and I are planning a trip to Grand Cayman. I have reasonable experience (70+ dives), she has far fewer, on the order of 20 dives. She prefers shallow dives, from the shore if possible. (To give you an idea of her preferred dive... phil foster park in Florida is by far her favorite dive site). Any recommendations for dive sites / locations? This is more a beach vacation, but do a few dives, rather than a dive vacation and do a few beaches. We will probably be staying on the east end (Morritts). And of course recommendations for dive shops would be appreciated.

Chris

Wife and I are planning a trip to Grand Cayman. I have reasonable experience (70+ dives), she has far fewer, on the order of 20 dives. She prefers shallow dives, from the shore if possible. (To give you an idea of her preferred dive... phil foster park in Florida is by far her favorite dive site). Any recommendations for dive sites / locations? This is more a beach vacation, but do a few dives, rather than a dive vacation and do a few beaches. We will probably be staying on the east end (Morritts). And of course recommendations for dive shops would be appreciated.

Chris
The best shore dives are west (~ 45 min to 1 hour drive from Morritts) - Macabuca/Turtle Reef (Sundivers), Lighthouse Point (Divetech), and Cobalt Coast (Reef Divers). Those sites have very easy water entry (ladders/piers), great miniwalls and even access to the main wall with a short swim. There is also good shore diving at Eden Rock/Devils Grotto (Eden Rock Dive Center - when no cruise ships are in port), Don Fosters and Sunset House.

If you are staying at Morritts, do some boat dives or night dives with Ocean Frontiers as they are just minutes away - they are likely the best dive op on the island with access to some of the best dive sites too (imho). However, I don't think there is a bad dive op on the island - so plenty of options!

You can check what cruise ships are in port at the below link - stay away from downtown George Town when there is more than 1 cruise ship in port (unless you need to shop). Also, if you do a Stingray City trip, plan it for a day when there are no cruise ships in port to avoid a mob scene on the sandbar!

Ship Schedules - Port Authority of the Cayman Islands

Last edited:
everything he said ^ however Tortuga Divers (Red Sail Watersports) is located at Morritt's also.

everything he said ^ however Tortuga Divers (Red Sail Watersports) is located at Morritt's also.
Good point - and they do AM 2 tank shallow reef dives which might be a better fit for the Op's wife than the typical deep wall/shallow reef combo 2 tanks that most boat ops offer.

If you prefer shore diving consider staying near West Bay or upper 7MB. East end is the opposite end of the island from popular shore diving sites such as Turtle Reef and Lighthouse Pt.

This is more a beach vacation, but do a few dives, rather than a dive vacation and do a few beaches.

I've actually been looking into this myself as my wife and I are taking the son and daughter and their spouses to Grand Cayman next summer.

My wife doesn't dive, my daughter-in-law won't dive, and the other three are iffy as to whether they'll cert by then. So, like you, it's a "more beach, less diving" vacation.

I looked very hard at the east end but, we'll end up on the west end simply because there's more to do.

Anyway, if you have your heart set on the east end, I'd take a hard look at the Wyndham Reef Resort. I think you can shore dive right at the resort and the shore dive there would be very shallow which seems to be what you're looking for. You may want to confirm that with the resort just to be sure. And, you can still work with any of the dive shops on the east end you choose. They all seem to have a pretty good rep from what I've researched.

If you stay on the east end and want to make a day trip to the west end, you're wife would probably like the dive at Stingray City (12-15 ft) or to the Kittiwake (20 - 65 ft).

Hope this helps.

If this is a beach vacation and you prefer shore dives, you really should look into staying on the west side. If cost is an issue then look for a condo at the north end of 7 mile beach. If cost is less an issue, then look around the mid point of SMB. This is the best part of the beach and near to lots of non-diving activities, restaurants, etc. We live mid SMB and it just seems to be the best all around location (of course I am biased). We are less than a 10 min drive to lighthouse point where I do most of my diving, and 10 min to town if you want to venture in for a look. Also look into an operator that throws in shore diving if you do a morning boat dive with them. While most of the ops do a deep dive then a shallow reef, a couple (Neptunes and Living the Dream, if I recall) can do two reefs. DiveTech, who I dive with a lot, do a first deep wall, but almost always keep a DM at about 70' on that dive for people who want to stay a bit more shallow. An if you are buddied with your wife, you two can stay as shallow as you like.

Thank you for your replies. Wife decided Morritts is the place we are staying. I will be looking into reef dives and perhaps spend a day on the west end.

Chris
Ocean Frontiers

Back
Top Bottom