Diver dead in Font Estramar, France

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The mission from SSF is done. They found the body at 234m and recovered the computer. When asked about the feasibility of recovering the body, none of those involved said it was feasible without excessive risk.

Apparently, unless an international team considers it possible (recalling the fate of Dave Shaw...), the body wont be recovered.
They said the same in Plura...
I think there may be some differences in what different people regard as "excessive risk".

The official recovery operation in Plura was stopped since the dive leader wouldn't be responsible for the risks in the operation. And that was even after they'd bent our HES regulations into pretzels to be able to start the operation. For me, there's a fundamental difference between the situation that Rick Stanton was in, and the situation Sami's team was in. Stanton was responsible for the recovery divers' safety, the Finns went as private individuals, responsible only for their own safety.

I think there may be some differences in what different people regard as "excessive risk".

The official recovery operation in Plura was stopped since the dive leader wouldn't be responsible for the risks in the operation. And that was even after they'd bent our HES regulations into pretzels to be able to start the operation. For me, there's a fundamental difference between the situation that Rick Stanton was in, and the situation Sami's team was in. Stanton was responsible for the recovery divers' safety, the Finns went as private individuals, responsible only for their own safety.

A very important difference.
I think an additional factor was also that only a group of private individuals could offer several persons who had already dived the cave as deep as the locations in question.

I think an additional factor was also that only a group of private individuals could offer several persons who had already dived the cave as deep as the locations in question.
And then there's that I don't think anyone would ever characterize those particular private individuals as being risk averse...

They said the same in Plura... but well, the Finnish group around Sami/Patrik is getting smaller now.
I don't know enough about the teams of divers that went to Plura that said it was impossible... Here it's some pretty advanced cave divers that refused to do it, it's typically the ones that have been to that depth. The SSF is the organization responsible for recoveries etc in cave accidents in France. It is composed of cavers (obviously), often highly experienced.

Also, we're talking 100m deeper than Plura here. So you get a few more issues:
- gas density
- decompression
- HPNS
Just to name a few of the issues... It's not something that can easily be compared, the issues are not the same.

As for not going back, I don't find it necessarily surprising. They likely had to stay for at least some time after the accident to help the investigation and recovery work. Furthermore, there's not much they (he?) can do in Finland. Also, he has to cope with it somehow, getting back in the water is one way of doing it. He might also not be ready for the "he's responsible for this guy's death" that he might get when going back.

There's many reasons for acting "strangely" after such an event.

It was probably a Cuda 650. It weights about 53lbs or 24kg on the surface.
Yes, Cudas come in black and the diver's scooter was black, so it must be a Cuda.
This kind of reasoning fits well with your previous statement. It shows flaws in your reasoning.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom