40 inch primary hose swivel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadada

Diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Do you use a 70 degree or a 90 degree swivel adapter or a 360 degree OmniSwivel on your 40 inch primary regulator hose, routed under your arm? I'd be particularly interested to hear from divers who have tried more than one.

I'm using almost twenty years a 110 degree swivel for my primary and a 360 degree swivel for my octopus, works very well for me.
Tried the 90 degree, didn't like it as the other two....

I own 90* elbows and ball swivels. I haven't bought any 70/110/120 elbows, but would recommend those over 90* for comfort purposes. Kirby Morgan makes them in a more durable configuration as I have seen some threads strip and shoot the end out. Not cool. The 90's are great for regs that go behind your neck, but for the 40" the more open angle is more comfortable.

I own the ball swivels from Cave Adventurers as well as Omni Swivel. I got the Omni's for a song and a dance and prefer to use those but for no real justified reason. I prefer them to the elbows because you can get the exact angle to help reduce jaw fatigue. Unfortunately with the 40" you can't escape that weight which is why I'm now diving a long hose all the time due to my TMJ *thank you bagpipes...*

The key to the ball swivels is to follow the damned service instructions and intervals. Brian Kakuk doesn't allow them in the Bahamas which is insane because there is no justified reason for it. Most people don't service them at the intervals that are spec'd and if they do, they don't put blue loctite back on the screw that holds the two halves together *which is spec'd btw*. When you don't put the loctite in, when the reg is pressurized and you turn it counter clockwise, there is enough pressure against the screw head that you back the screw out. Do that enough and the o-ring extrudes. Follow the service intervals and instructions, and it's a non-issue

I haven't used more than one, but the $10 90 degree elbow from DGX has satisfied my needs. The OmniSwivel may be better, but not at the price they want for it. Call me a budget diver...

Capture 2.JPG
Capture 3.JPG

I have the Omni on my Alternate (hung under my neck) which comes under the left arm and a 90 on my primary under my right arm.

Personal Opinion:

I find the 90 on my primary more comfortable, and the Omni on the Alt seems to make it easier to donate (having done so many times in simulated OOA

This is just me, I'm sure people have other opinions.

This being SB you should be able to get an opinion on every mathematical permutation :rofl3:

I have roughly 220 dives in just over 2 years on my Cave Adventurer generic swivel. And no servicing. I do inspect occasionally to make sure it looks snug and swivels smoothly for whatever that's worth.

I own but have never used a fixed angle adaptor since I like the range of angles available with the swivel. It is a tad weighty but hasn't been an issue for me as yet.

Eric also uses that same swivel with almost as many dives and no issues as yet.

We both use it on the 40 inch under the arm primary hose routing.

I had a new ball swivel fail in shallow water which sucked. Then I switched to a non-swivel street ell (70 degree?) on a 5' hose under the arm and around the neck which was perfect, then I switched to 7'/ no swivel. The 5' with bend was the most streamlined and comfortable with a single tank.

when we used to run a 40" primary, a 90 deg angle was used as with @CuzzA 's rigging. did run a 120 deg on the necklace and primary with a 18" and 5' hose for a while as they ran snug around the neck. since moving to 20" and 7' hoses, no elbows needed.

the 90s were nice for routing and packing reg bags, but made donation a bit touch and go getting a grip around the angle adapter. not a problem if you grab the reg by the faceplate, but thats a whole different can of worms to open. :wink:

Do you use a 70 degree or a 90 degree swivel adapter or a 360 degree OmniSwivel on your 40 inch primary regulator hose, routed under your arm? I'd be particularly interested to hear from divers who have tried more than one.

I use all 70s after having tried 90s. The 70s work both on the 40" hose and on the short hose for the bungeed reg.

The 90s work OK too but at the time I bought them the on-line dealer I use had 90s that were machined a little oversize on the reg connection so they wouldn't turn freely, so I got the 70s.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom