Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is Butterfly House. You won't find it in 8ft vis. It is not straight out. The bangs are likely coming from dock. Freaks me out too.

Fun dive at Lobos today, to Hole in the Wall and Lone Metridium

Max depth: 69 feet
Bottom time: 56 minutes
Visibility: 10 feet near surface, increased to 20-30 feet at depth
Water temperature: 50F to 62F
Surface conditions: Flat seas, tide about 1/3 up the ramp, cloudy with a stiff breeze.

Had the privilege of taking a new-to-California diver on her first dive at Point Lobos. She is an experienced instructor but said she'd rely on my navigation...I cautioned that might be a problem...

The kelp has really filled in, with two apparent boat channels. We wove our way through the Western channel and dropped in 43 feet of water. The surface vis was a green/brown 10 feet, but it opened as we descended to, at least, 20 feet. We quickly reached Hole in the Wall. I shot some video then directed her toward the opening and swam around to the other side to get a clip of her through HITW. While filming she was gesturing but I couldn't tell why---she told me later she thought I'd asked her to swim through HITW and was very emphatically saying no! LOL

We continued on to Lone Metridium, encountering kelp greenlings, Lingcod, and a Cabazon on the way to/from. Lone Metridium was in full bloom, looking quite healthy. The visibility had increased to 30+ feet.

My intent was to return along the channel behind HITW, but I missed the turn. When we got well into a sandy bottom at 69 feet I realized I'd made a mistake and turned south. I thought we were in the sand channel, but I suspect we may have been in the second sand channel on the far side of Middle Reef as we started getting into topography that I didn't recognize. When we finally surfaced we were on the wrong side of the cove a bit south of Coal Chute Cove in the middle of some thick kelp. D'oh!!! We dropped back below the kelp heading toward some clear water, but didn't get far enough. So...my buddy got her first taste of the kelp crawl. She didn't like it, but we made our way over 30 to 40 feet of kelp and got into clear water for the remaining swim back to the ramp. I tried to warn her...

Once we got back on land, and she warmed up, she seemed happy about the whole experience---even the kelp. Whew!

Still not sure where I went wrong...editing the video today I see we passed over a submerged tree trunk I've seen several times in the sand channel on the way to/from HITW. It could have moved, I suppose, but I don't think we've had any storms or high enough surf between then and now to move it way off my intended track. Made a hard left somewhere after that, I guess...

Went for 2 dives on the BeachHopper2 today 7/7.
First dive was off the aquarium at the old mooring blocks ( big rock with a big chain ).
Vis was a green 15 feet with sea nettles thick between 15 and 40 feet. Low temp of 49.
Second dive was McAbee Pinnacle.
Vis was probably only 10 feet and the nettles were about the same. Low temp of 52.

Eventful day at Breakwater today. We did 2 dives along the wall this morning – 54F water at ~45’ with minor surge and 10’ viz. The first was quickly stopped by increasing densities of brown nettles at 40’. Rather than fight through them (and my girlfriend’s increasing panic), we turned for shallower waters and practiced skills. My first attempt at shooting a DSMB w/ spool from depth was a success, though trim and buoyancy control were a whole other story…..

We ascended to find people waving arms and calling for 911. There was brief concern that my SMB had caused a panic… but there were far more serious concerns. Apparently (from talking to the instructor and EMT after), a 60-70 year old open water student rapidly ascended from 15-20’ while holding their breath and became unconscious/unresponsive. Coast Guard was rapidly on the scene and able to provide CPR as he was pulseless. Eventually he regained consciousness but was in atrial fibrillation and disoriented. They suspect that he suffered a pulmonary embolism – he was taken to the ER and on to the hyperbaric chamber. No details from there but was a very sobering reminder of the risks even in very shallow waters. Hoping for the best for him and his family

We tried to practice some navigation skills in Middle Reef for a 2nd dive, but the nettles were coming in greater numbers even in the shallower waters. Back to the wall and more skills practice. Viz down to 8’ and tons of nettles overhead at 40’

Monestary was calm this morning so we did two dives at the southern end. Saw one nettle the entire time. Viz was the usual 20ish ft.

@Saicho Yikes! Scary stuff at Breakwater. Sending best wishes and hoping that the injured diver can make a full recovery.

Came here to provide a report on Lobos, which was quite a lot nicer than expected today! Did a dive with @elgoog out around Granite Point Wall, followed by some poking around the end of Middle Reef. The cove had maybe 10 ft vis, but Granite Point offered us a nice blue 40 ft view.

Lots of vermillion rockfish, lingcods, and some sea otters on the surface near the boat ramp. Great day!

Dive time 1h 42min... long enough to get very cold hands in 48F water. Max depth 72 ft, average 51 ft.

Came here to provide a report on Lobos, which was quite a lot nicer than expected today! Did a dive with @elgoog out around Granite Point Wall, followed by some poking around the end of Middle Reef. The cove had maybe 10 ft vis, but Granite Point offered us a nice blue 40 ft view.
Lots of vermillion rockfish, lingcods, and some sea otters on the surface near the boat ramp. Great day!
And a bleepin' bleep-ton of kelp. No channel to speak off and the kelp extended a fair bit past the dog rock.
Dive time 1h 42min... long enough to get very cold hands in 48F water. Max depth 72 ft, average 51 ft.
Yeah, my toes were numb and I couldn't even move my fingers to indicate how much gas I had left at the end. I had to swivel my SPG in her direction and point at it :p

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom