Melia Luna vs West End?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jdevic

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I always want to go to RTB but the flight options are pretty much limited to multi-stop overnight flights on UA or AV from YYZ. I recently noticed that Air Transat and Sunwing now offer seasonal direct flights and AI package to RTB, so I've decided to pull the trigger and book a one week solo relaxing dive vacation in late December.

So far I am torn between two options:
1) 7 night all-inclusive flight + hotel at Melia Luna Resort & Spa (4*) on the south side of the island (all in C$2100 including 10 dives). The hotel looks nice, but it is very far from everywhere and the onsite dive shop Aqua Adventures is small and appears to cater to Discover Scuba divers based on comments on Tripadvisors. Also, I am not sure if the dive sites are as good as the famous West End...

2) 7 night flight only with Air Transat (C$720) + separate hotel bookings at the West End. I found a place called Splash Inn which offers 7 night B&B + 15 dive package for US$788 (C$1014). The hotel is not as nice as the Melia Resort and is not AI. Total cost with food and drinks will likely be similar to Melia. (I did take a look at Mariposa + West End Divers package; I definitely want somewhere nicer than Mariposa for this trip. Night life etc. are not that important to me.)

Option that I shot down: Henry Morgan AI package at West Bay - just too crowded and touristy to my taste.

Any recommendation? Is it worthwhile to get worse accommodation but potentially better diving experience in West End? Or they might be all similar?

I think the answer to your question is going to be dependent on what your personal preferences are. I think your dive adventures will be great no matter which area you decide on. Roatan diving is amazing...period. I don't have any experience diving in West End, but I have extensive experience with Aqua Adventures at Media Luna. I can tell you that they are great people and run a very good operation. The staff is like a well-oiled machine. They work very well together to provide excellent dives for their customers. The boat captains are very competent, the divemasters have eagle eyes, and a mate is also on board to assist.

The major difference between the two places you are considering is the people you will run into.

West End is the touristy part of the island. There will be lots more people out and about. There will be lots of people trying to sell you stuff. There will be lots more freedom to walk around and take in the tourism of the area. There is at least the existence of nightlife and partying.

Media Luna is located all the way out east at the other end of Roatan. It's an absolutely stunningly gorgeous location, set to blend in with the incredible surroundings. You will experience peace and quiet, amazing sunsets, and a great hotel staff. Everything you need, including the dive shop, is located on the premises. There are 3 pools, a beach, an all-inclusive restaurant. a bar, a wine bar, an animation team to keep you entertained, and many scheduled activities throughout the day and night. There is a tour desk in the lobby where you can book different tours around the island. There are lots of options. But...by design...Media Luna is not a party paradise.

So it really depends on the type of person you are...what are you looking for in a vacation?

I book dive trips for Media Luna and have been there many times, so I'm just trying to help you with a bit of information. The Canadian charters are well organized and there is a representative available in the lobby to help their customers with any issues. It's a good program and I think you would be pleased with them.

If I were you, I wouldn't write off the Henry Morgan choice. If you enjoy the tourism aspect of things, you might really enjoy West Bay beach. It's much more upscale than West End and it's absolutely lovely. I've only visited there once, but at that time they did not allow cruise ship visitors to occupy their beach chairs and space. It was reserved for their guests only. If you decide on West End or West Bay, that's another issue you should consider...cruise ship guests flood the area several days a week :(

One thing you may have overlooked - it's MeDia Luna not MeLia. If you're expecting Melia as in the AI resorts - there's several that are similar. Comparable might be Barefoot Cay - a step down would be Anthony's Key or properties in West Bay like Henry Morgan's etc. Splash Inn is not as nice, is in the heart of the West End and you'll hear the music from the nearby bars at night.

Cocolobo might be another option to consider - it's around the point of Half Moon Bay so quieter but you can still easily walk to town for dinner. Most of the varied restaurants on Roatan are in the West End or West Bay. I rent a house next to Cocolobo so know the area/walk - you'd be diving with a shop in town from there or maybe the shop at SeaGrape Plantation next door.

A nicer property in West Bay to look at (the nicest beach) might be Infinity Bay. Xbalanque is arguably the nicest property on that side.

All respect to CD but Media Luna is too far away from everything for us. If that's what you want, it's probably the best option in the area.

The crowds in the West End are limited to divers, people staying in the far cheaper accommodations and a lot of DM trainees out at night. It really doesn't get crowded till maybe Thursday night but it is a very eclectic mix of dive shops, tourist shops, beach bars, smaller, older resorts etc. I never had anyone try to sell me anything except a fruit vendor once when I stopped and was looking at the stuff in her truck - which I bought from. Most of the diveshops there keep their boats across the street at a dock so diving is pretty convenient once you pick one.Ours did and I believe most will keep/clean your gear all week as part of the price.

West Bay seemed quieter - had the nicer beach but the cruise excursions use part of it around Bananarama at their encouragement. Also some shops there launch pangas from the beach.

See what you think of Turquoise Bay Resort also, they have a nice small beach, Subway Watersports on-site and are near some of the better N/central/NE diving. A short ride into the West End if you want to check it out and there's a few restaurants etc. in Sandy Bay also. Close to AKR if their dolphin dive is of interest - we liked it.

Last edited:
I will add that the West End/Bay option also allows you to eat at different restaurants and there are many really good ones on the West side of the island. If you stay at Media Luna there are very few options beyond the resort, yes there are some in OakRidge and Jonesville but it is still a decent trek to get to them. If you stay at Media Luna I will bet you will not make the trek to the west side more than once. It is a VERY long drive/ride.

If your plan is to dive, dive, dive then go to Media Luna. If you want to dive, dive, dive and experience the island then go to West End/Bay

I am not saying anything is wrong with Media Luna just trying to give information.

Media Luna has an amazing house reef. I would go out to dinner a few times a week with my wife and she enjoyed that since she doesn't dive. The I would go back but I would bring my own wine since the stuff they have is terrible. You can buy wine in town which is 15 away.

I would bring my own wine

I'm not a wine connoisseur, so I definitely don't have a partiality to any specific type of wine. When someone is bringing me free glasses of wine to enjoy with my dinner, I'm usually OK with it. :giggle:

Did you discover the wine bar off of the lobby? They also sell wines and allow you to sample different varieties. I love going in there to enjoy an after dinner cappuccino or coffee of some type.

Good conversation...it's very important to note that there are very different options available on the island and no one place is right for everyone :)

That you so much guys! In some way, it made my choice even harder:p
Thanks to Steve for pointing out it is "Media" not the big chain Melia I was thinking about.
There are limited choices with the charter airlines if I want to take advantage of the heavily discounted hotel AI package.
The AI packages do seem like the best price and the easiest.
I think I will give HM at West Bay another look and research a few more properties at West Bay / West End.
Thanks again!

Good luck. Whatever you choose, have a great time and please come back and tell us about it :)

Agree with opinions above about West Bay- very nice, but very touristy. West End has more authentic feel and better prices.

Flights are horrible, but you can make it work if you cobble together a few different carriers here and there. I always fly direct to Houston on Southwest and then catch whatever flight I can from Houston to RTB. I have done same via Cayman Air- go there on one airline and use Cayman to get to RTB. Lastly, Avianca through San Salvador is always a great option, and if you can't get to RTB directly, go to San Pedro or La Ceiba and catch a puddle jumper. It should be easier, but it's not, so this is my best approach.

Back
Top Bottom