DAN Insurance: Guardian or Preferred

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DevilEyeDog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have read several threads on DAN insurance, looked at the insurance, compared the options. I'm brand new (brand new) to diving. Yes, Guardian is the safer choice offering a lot more then the Preferred. Yes, it's not that much more expensive, but it is more expensive.

All that said...what type of DAN coverage are you (and most) divers comfortable with?

I'm looking for what a sport/recreational diving individual who dives maybe once a month, goes on 1-2 warm water exotic trips a year is comfortable with. Certainly I know that the avid technical divers answer may be very different. I also know that the avid sport diver who dives every weekend and who feels comfortable cave diving several times a year may have a different answer. I will not be cave diving, going very deep, sitting on top of a shark or diving under ice any time soon (and yes I know you can't sit on a shark...or shouldn't). :)

What are individuals, like myself, comfortable with for DAN coverage?

Thank you so much for your answer! Just trying to get an idea of what most people feel comfortable with.

I've always stuck with master. It's a drop in the bucket on what I spend on diving each year, and if I ever need it....

Horror stories that occasionally pop up about someone getting bent out of the US caused me to buy the insurance. I read about people having to max out all their credit cards, borrow money from friends, etc.. just to pay for a chamber ride in Mexico or some other dive destination.

The number you call for "advice" by DAN is garbage though. Every time I've called they have told me, "I can't answer that, go see a diving doctor and ask them".

I went with the mid-level plan for a long time but eventually upgraded because I've seen enough incidents (none that were my own, thankfully) to realize the S can HTF for anyone at any time, and if it ever HTF for me, I'd feel like an idiot for missing valuable coverage for the sake of saving a few bucks per year.

Remember, DAN is a stop gap for your personal insurance if you have it....probably cover your deductible...most insurance cover diving related injuries and chamber stays...it's the out of pocket that may get you that makes DAN so appealing.

You should check with you current carrier.

Hi @DevilEyeDog

I have carried DAN insurance since I became a more active diver in 2004. For about a decade, I carried the Master plan. I switched to the Guardian plan several years ago for a variety of reasons. I started diving more remote locations such as Red Sea and Cocos, my diving is slightly more risky with occasional light deco, I dive much more frequently, I do much of my diving solo, and I am older and perhaps not as fit and healthy as I once was.

My wife, son, and daughter all dive occasionally with me in Florida or the Caribbean. Our diving together is reasonably conservative. The three of them have the Master plan.

Personally, I think it is wise for most divers to carry dive insurance.

What kind of dog is Devil Eye Dog, Australian Cattle Dog?

Good diving, Craig

I've always opted for Family Master. Good idea to have something since ED visits and chamber rides aren't cheap.

I upgraded to Guardian when I started doing more liveaboards and also diving in more remote regions which would make evacuations and emergency care/assistance/transport much more expensive. I spent the first 2 years on the middle plan when doing trips to areas that were more easily accessible.

I have read several threads on DAN insurance, looked at the insurance, compared the options. I'm brand new (brand new) to diving. Yes, Guardian is the safer choice offering a lot more then the Preferred. Yes, it's not that much more expensive, but it is more expensive.

All that said...what type of DAN coverage are you (and most) divers comfortable with?

I'm looking for what a sport/recreational diving individual who dives maybe once a month, goes on 1-2 warm water exotic trips a year is comfortable with. Certainly I know that the avid technical divers answer may be very different. I also know that the avid sport diver who dives every weekend and who feels comfortable cave diving several times a year may have a different answer. I will not be cave diving, going very deep, sitting on top of a shark or diving under ice any time soon (and yes I know you can't sit on a shark...or shouldn't). :)

What are individuals, like myself, comfortable with for DAN coverage?

Thank you so much for your answer! Just trying to get an idea of what most people feel comfortable with.
Or "other".

We travel a lot. So we have purchased an annual travel medical / trip cancellation / trip interruption insurance policy. It costs more than DAN, but then it also covers much more than DAN. It is a single policy that covers everything. You may (will?) find that even if you purchase a DAN product you will still need to purchase other travel products.

And remember: Insurance is regulated at a state / province level. So products vary depending upon where you live. Our Blue Cross product is only available in eastern Canada.

there was a recent thread https://www.scubaboard.com/communit...eaboard-departure-due-to-flight-issues.546611

regarding LOB insurance.

Wife recently had an ear issue on a trip and we had to fly the next day. Went to the local doc and got treatment/meds as suggested by DAN. UHC paid out no problem as I have international coverage. They cut me a check for amount paid. While this is great I don't think I would want to worry with credit cards or primary health insurance if I was seriously injured in another country. DAN is cheap way to give me peace of mind as well.

Back
Top Bottom