AKR dolphin dive - any experiences?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also like the fact that this is voluntary on the part of the dolphins. Too many others seem to be captive. I don't like them in captivity

I also like the fact that this is voluntary on the part of the dolphins. Too many others seem to be captive. I don't like them in captivity

I agree.

They are "kept" in pens but they are out 2-3 times per day and can take off anytime they want when they are out. AKR also has a pretty extensive intern program for marine biology students. Which is really cool on many levels. Of course, who is going to take off when you're being fed 3 squares a day LOL

Of course, who is going to take off when you're being fed 3 squares a day LOL
Quid pro quo!

We're heading to AKR next February for our wedding anniversary (wife won the stay at the resort from the big dive show in Long Beach back in May), so after reading this, I might do one of the dolphin dives. We just booked our flights and our overnight hotel in Houston (if we flew into Houston on Saturday morning to catch the Roatan flight, we'd have something like a 45 minute layover to get to the other terminal. We'd rather overnight in Houston and not risk a delay from Tucson messing up our connection). We did the same kind of arrangement last year when we flew to Cozumel.

They are "kept" in pens but they are out 2-3 times per day and can take off anytime they want when they are out.

also like the fact that this is voluntary on the part of the dolphins.

I have not been to Anthony's Key, but I have been to Unexso in the Bahamas & fell for that same pitch re: their supposed "semi-wild dolphins who can leave at any time" & "voluntarily love interacting with divers".

I've since spoken to a number of marine biologists & found out that dolphins like these are normally trained through a carrot (food) & stick method (starvation, mental & physical cruelty).

Since then, this article came out from a former dolphin trainer of these "semi-wild dolphins". It is horribly eye opening.

Former Dolphin Trainer Speaks Out on the Horrors of Captivity | HuffPost

You really think this dolphin can't get out? He doesn't want to...that's the perimeter fence/boardwalk under and behind him. It's so narrow in spots I almost fell in.

bailey-at-the-dolphin.jpg

You want to see sad - go to the Dolphin Exhibit at the Brookfield Zoo near Chicago - one of the top 15 zoos in the country. There except for several tourist jumping shows per day, the animals spend all day in a large featureless pool - like a swimming pool. Nothing on the surface, no toys in the water, smooth everywhere so they can't even scratch an itch.

I'm not an idiot - I know the difference between a happy and unhappy animal. Do you really think we'd repeat trips to AKR if any of our members thought they were abusing the animals?

I've since spoken to a number of marine biologists & found out that dolphins like these are normally trained through a carrot (food) & stick method (starvation, mental & physical cruelty).

I don't think it's any secret that they use the "carrot". This is almost universal with all animal training. I don't believe AKR uses the "stick" because the dolphins could simply leave. In fact, at least one of their current dolphins was born in the wild and voluntarily joined the group. This isn't an aquarium where the dolphins have no alternative food source.

They have pictures of the dolphins leaping out of the enclosure... it's a simple thing for them. However, it's impossible for their predators in the area to get in. Sharks don't jump!

Back
Top Bottom