Double tanks to fill station

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I filled my double 104s, tried to move them off the floor in my garage, and grabbed my rebreather instead.
If I have to move big doubles, I put them on my back. I bent my wedding ring so it was oblong on my finger while setting down the 104s at one point. I was lucky that it didn't need to be cut off! It is bent enough the jeweler couldn't straighten it. My double 50s are easier to move around so I can just pick them up and move them where they are needed.

I always move my doubles around by the wearing the bare backplate with no wing attached.
I have a table in my basement I can set the tanks on, take the backplate off my shoulders, turn around and lower by hand.
I do the same at a dive shop, but I just look for a stool or stairs to set them on.
Only at the dive site do I put the wing on the backplate.

I always move my doubles around by the wearing the bare backplate with no wing attached.
I have a table in my basement I can set the tanks on, take the backplate off my shoulders, turn around and lower by hand.
I do the same at a dive shop, but I just look for a stool or stairs to set them on.
Only at the dive site do I put the wing on the backplate.
So randy99k5: After the dive you undo your plate --> take wing off --> put plate back on? Everytime?
Thank you

I saw a young lady at Little River last month sporting what looked like double 120s. Girl had to be under 5' and 120# at the absolute tops! You could barely see her from behind, but she carried those tanks up and down the stairs like a champ! I must admit, I take a break half way up the stairs, but this girl made me feel like I should cut a corner off my man-card..

I think I have used every possible method to move my Worthington LP 108 doubles, which are enormously heavy. I continue to use every possible method, depending upon the circumstances. That includes picking them up, left hand on the left post and right hand on the bottom of the right tank. That works fairly well, but I can't do it for too much of a distance, and I have hurt my back doing it. I have done the two-hands-on-the-manifold waddle, which is awkward, and I hate doing it for much distance. The next easiest is two people on each side. Easier still is a hand cart, if you have one around. The easiest, of course, is pulling up close to the long fill whip, but there is another very easy option that can be used in certain locations. The place where it works best for me is Cave Adventurers in Marianna, FL. There I back down the driveway, open the back of the van, point at the tanks, and say, "There they are, Edd."

Last edited:
So randy99k5: After the dive you undo your plate --> take wing off --> put plate back on? Everytime?
Thank you

Yes, the wing stays in my drysuit bag to and from the dive site. It helps prevent damage to the wing since I use the backplate for tank transport. I sit the tanks up straight in the backseat as a passenger would sit. This makes it easy to get them in and out of the car. I assemble on the trunk lip if diving a quarry or shore, or assemble on the boat before we leave dock. Been doing it this way for years.

I saw a young lady at Little River last month sporting what looked like double 120s. Girl had to be under 5' and 120# at the absolute tops! You could barely see her from behind, but she carried those tanks up and down the stairs like a champ! I must admit, I take a break half way up the stairs, but this girl made me feel like I should cut a corner off my man-card..
Meredith once mentioned that her complete rig (LP95s iirc) weights more than she does.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom